Cyst in eye - bulging after surgery, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cetara04

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=126863
This was my previous post which is now locked.

To sum it up. My 7yr old bd has now had a cyst in his eye removed for the 4th time. The 3rd surgery resulted in an eye enucleation.
Next weekend will be six weeks since the last surgery and he can get his sutures removed. However, where his eye was looks like its bulging out again. I am curious on maybe this is cancerous since it keeps coming back. He doesn't seem himself anymore.... not really eating at all on his own ( I have been feeding him because he is losing weight). I don't know what to do. I have spent over $800 on surgeries and if its going to keep coming back is it worth another surgery?? I really dont want to put him down, but I don't know what to do and its upsetting me. Any advice or info about what it may be?

Thanks!

cetara04

Original Poster
The 2nd and 4th surgeries, the Vet also used a laser to try to remove everything....but no luck.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, my heart goes out to you ... bumping to get the mods to see this! cyberhugs to you and your spikey baby.

cetara04

Original Poster
I have an appointment this Saturday w/ his regular vet and also a different vet for a second opinion. I am thinking to get another biopsy just in case. This is just frustrating I can't find any info about this.

cetara04

Original Poster
I am worried about his losing weight so I have been giving him some baby food w a syringe since that's about the only thing that he doesn't seem to mind. Ill post some pictures tomorrow after work...maybe that may give u guys a better picture of what's going on.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Pictures always help Tracie & Vicki & Diane -- hopefully one of them will see this quickly and be a little more help. Is he eating the babyfood ok? I would keep that up to try and keep his energy levels up. Poor guy, sorry you're both going thru this.

cetara04

Original Poster
Sorry for all the pictures, but I wanted to get every angle possible. This is a picture of my two beardies a couple years ago. Bubs "BigBoy" is on the left and Peachri on the right. Bubs is the one that has this issue.
BigBoyPeachri.jpg

102-Copy.jpg

I don't think I ever got any pictures of when it first started to grow. It grew in the front (towards nostrils) part of his eye and ended up pushing his eye back to the point you couldn't see the pupil. You could start to see the clear cyst coming out from the corner of his eye. The Doc said it wasn't puss inside he said it was tissue. After the first surgery you could start seeing his whole eye again.
The cyst was HUGE before the enucleation... larger than the pictures below on the size it is now.
This was after the eye enucleation
075-Copy-Copy.jpg

This is now 5 weeks after the 4th surgery. There was no bulge 5 weeks ago.
0062-Copy.jpg

007-Copy-Copy.jpg

145-Copy.jpg

0022-Copy.jpg

0052-Copy-1.jpg

004-Copy.jpg

This is kinda scaring me because his scales are splitting and I'm afraid it's going to pop or something.

Any info or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
I would edit your original title of this thread (to something more urgent like "Cyst in eye - bulging after surgery, help!", and then post a reply after mine -- to bump it up with the new title.

I am not sure what "normal" is for healing, but that may get the mods to see this. Poor guy, those pictures broke my heart. I cannot imagine your heartache right now, but hang in there. Have you tried PM'ing Tracie on this (drache613) I hope you get answers fast.

cetara04

Original Poster
Is there any other method of removing it that is better than laser to possibly get rid of it all or I am also wondering if it is cancerous. I hope not :cry:

I don't know why you aren't getting more responses and I don't have any great answers for you. All I know for sure is that his eye is way more swollen than it should be. I am a nurse and work primarily with post op patients and I can tell you for sure that having that amount of swelling is worth another trip to the vet. I hope someone with more reptile knowledge than I have comes along soon. Good luck!

cetara04

Original Poster
He has an appt this Saturday. Its not swollen from the surgery...the growth or cyst is coming back. This time it came back a lot faster. Usually he would have about 3 months after surgery till it slowly started to develop. This time it came back within 4 weeks. I'm praying and hope I can get some answers and better treatment when I see the vet this weekend. Anyone know any supplements that may help him with trying to eat or give him energy. He doesn't want to do anything anymore. Is reptaid any good?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry, I must have just missed your post.
Wow, your poor dragon.
Initially, when they did a biopsy, did anything like cancer come up or did they deem it viral or bacterial?
It could be infected possibly, or it could be cancer. Did they prescribe any medication this last time in case of infection?
It is hard to tell from the picture, but I assume that they have taken just about all of the eye out?
Reptaid can help with immune system function so you could try that. I don't know if putting any cream or ointment on the area at the moment will really do much right now. It definitely need to be looked at again. Since it was immediate swelling, my thoughts would be infection.
Is he black bearding right now? Is he wanting to bask, or trying to hide during the day?

Tracie

cetara04

Original Poster
Originally it was diagnosed as a harderian cyst. After the surgeries the vet gave him clavamox drops. Yeah the vets said he removed everthing and even used laser. He is not black bearding he just sits in one spot most of the day usually with his other eye closed and not wanting any food water or any treats. Sometimes during the day he will come out and bask but he isn't energetic like he used to be. I use to let him run around the house and he would love it. Now he just sits there.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
how old is your UVB lamp, and what are his temps? Maybe a change in temp could roust a little activity? Have you tried feeding Critical Care? Maybe the boost in vitamins from CC would energize him a little? I am racking my brain on this one, poor guy needs something, I so wish they could talk and tell us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom