Planning on building an enclosure, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

faaun

I'm in the process of compiling a list of supplies I will need.
Those of you who have build your own enclosure, what did you buy and use? (Such as plexiglass, runners, vents, ect)
I'm trying to price the items and get a rough idea of how much my partner and I will be spending.
Thanks in advance!

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
I had a list somewhere on my computer. I'll find it when I get on my computer(I'm on my phone right now)

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
ok, this is what I used.

x4-5 1/2" 2'x4' Birch Plywood - $14.67 each.
(4 for the box part and a 5th one if you want the front part raised where the glass will go, I used 4 with 2 extra pieces of wood I had.)

x2 4-ft L x 1/2-in W x 1/2-in Aluminum Trim Channel - $5.70 each.
(I believe I used a 1/4" by 4 foot, but couldn't find it on the website.)

x2 Acrylic Sheet for the doors - $9.78 each.

x1 An Acrylic Cutting tool - $5.00
(Couldn't find this on the website either, it was by the acrylic sheets though)

x1 36" T8 Flurecent Fixture - $24.97 each.
(I used this Exo Terro Light Unit 30watt it only works with 2 bulbs plugged in, but I had 2 vivariums. I found it on sale for $40.00)

x1 Fluker's Clamp Lamp 5.5" - $10.14

x8 Pieces of Slate tile 1'x1' usually around $1.00 a square foot.

x1 Silicone (paintable) - $6.24 each.

x1 Hole Saw 2-1/2" - $17.28 each.
(I just hot glued some window screen onto the back of the hole)

x100(about) Wood Screws 1-5/8"
(I put them on every corner, then about 6-8" put a screw in.)

x1 29 fluid oz outdoor paint - $10-15

x1 Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 36" T8 $23.77 each.

Here's mine http://jdawgspets.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=182307724
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Otf3B_He8
The top one is 4'x2'x1'6" (WxDxH) vivarium with his heat lamp on top. Made with 4 pieces of 1/2"x2'x4' plywood. The bottom one is a 4'x2'x2' (WxDxH) With all the lights inside the vivarium. Made with 5 pieces of 1/2"x2'x4' plywood.

Here's the screen shot of the google sketchup too.
plans.jpg

If you have google sketch up and want the file PM me I'll upload it somewhere.

That thing is heavy, but sturdy. You can also use a few different things like Melamine sheets, real glass tracks, glass doors, ect. this is just what I did.

Hope this helps!

-Justin

Thades22

I just built my own enclosure, in fact the third layer of grout is drying right now. I could sit here and try to remember everything I bought for this project but I would probably forget a few things lol. One piece of advice I can give you is this. Make sure that in your budget set aside some cash (probably around $100 or more) for the randoms. For example, I ran out of wood glue (used the rest to glue the polystyrene together) so I had to go get more adhesive, I bought liquid nails after that. Or that I would come up with an idea to make it sturdier or look better after I started the build so I had to go get supplies for that. I also didn't plan on spending $130 for the lighting setup I wanted. (I'm using ZooMeds combo deep dome ($60) then the bulbs for that about $20. Im also using a 48" Reptisun 10.0 tube which was $45 just for the bulb! I also decided to use real glass instead of plexiglass because the plexiglass sheets at my home depot were about the same price as real glass at some glass shops, but it was a little more.

In short I planned out roughly $300 for my project and ending up spending over $500. So just make sure that you plan for the randoms as well. What if you cut your wood and see that big hole in it from a knot on the other side? (Happened to me) Just properly prepare and you will be good.

I will also tell you that patience is key, Im glad I was, caught myself a couple time before making some pretty big mistakes. It is very rewarding and will bring you a strong sense of satisfaction. I cant wait to get Bowser in his. :wink:

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
Thades22":38rxo4h4 said:
I just built my own enclosure, in fact the third layer of grout is drying right now. I could sit here and try to remember everything I bought for this project but I would probably forget a few things lol. One piece of advice I can give you is this. Make sure that in your budget set aside some cash (probably around $100 or more) for the randoms. For example, I ran out of wood glue (used the rest to glue the polystyrene together) so I had to go get more adhesive, I bought liquid nails after that. Or that I would come up with an idea to make it sturdier or look better after I started the build so I had to go get supplies for that. I also didn't plan on spending $130 for the lighting setup I wanted. (I'm using ZooMeds combo deep dome ($60) then the bulbs for that about $20. Im also using a 48" Reptisun 10.0 tube which was $45 just for the bulb! I also decided to use real glass instead of plexiglass because the plexiglass sheets at my home depot were about the same price as real glass at some glass shops, but it was a little more.

In short I planned out roughly $300 for my project and ending up spending over $500. So just make sure that you plan for the randoms as well. What if you cut your wood and see that big hole in it from a knot on the other side? (Happened to me) Just properly prepare and you will be good.

I will also tell you that patience is key, Im glad I was, caught myself a couple time before making some pretty big mistakes. It is very rewarding and will bring you a strong sense of satisfaction. I cant wait to get Bowser in his. :wink:

Yeah I agree. lol I remember my girlfriend texted me "what are you doing?" I replied "watching paint dry."
The lighting cost almost the same amount as the vivarium built. I think I spent about $300 too after the fake rock wall and it was all setup. The 1st one I built took maybe a week the 2nd one was done in 2 days after(before I started the rock wall) I knew what I was doing and didn't have to think about changing the design. Just took 1 trip to the hardware store on the 2nd one instead of 3 or 4 lol

-Justin

Thades22

ju5t1n":2wdkbzz3 said:
Yeah I agree. lol I remember my girlfriend texted me "what are you doing?" I replied "watching paint dry."
The lighting cost almost the same amount as the vivarium built. I think I spent about $300 too after the fake rock wall and it was all setup. The 1st one I built took maybe a week the 2nd one was done in 2 days after(before I started the rock wall) I knew what I was doing and didn't have to think about changing the design. Just took 1 trip to the hardware store on the 2nd one instead of 3 or 4 lol

-Justin

HAHAHA I now exactly what your talking about except it was "what are you doing?" I replied "home depot". She said "AGAIN?!?" I probably made 6 or 7 trips total. Ive spent a week and a half on mine so far, most of it being exactly that, watching it dry. Ive only had my dragons for a few weeks, before that I knew nothing about them till I found a horned lizard in my back yard, thought it was a dragon, and started doing research. Obviously I'm pretty hooked now, building my own enclosures and stuff. This has been my first one so I'm just hoping it works like I'm planning and lasts a long time.

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
lol yup you got bit by the beardie bug! symptoms include; conic adiction to bearded dragons, Making vivariums, Multiple dragons, playing with them, starring at them, talking to them, keeping bugs IN the house, Making them salad, being on beardeddragon.org lol
Woh I've seen horn lizards on TV, but never knew they were out here I just googled their locations!

-Justin

Thades22

ju5t1n":qpuq6n5h said:
lol yup you got bit by the beardie bug! symptoms include; conic adiction to bearded dragons, Making vivariums, Multiple dragons, playing with them, starring at them, talking to them, keeping bugs IN the house, Making them salad, being on beardeddragon.org lol
Woh I've seen horn lizards on TV, but never knew they were out here I just googled their locations!

-Justin

I know right? I was on the phone with trugreen describing my yard and he ran right in front of me. Had no idea. Like I said I thought it was a bearded dragon that got loose so I was going to keep it and did about 8 hours of research before a reptile store I sent pictures to told me it was a horned lizard and that they were native to Colorado. Interesting. I was kinda disappointed. So whats my girlfriend do? Comes home with an adult beardie for me. This was about 3 weeks ago and now I find myself educating people on them. :D His owner though has kept him in the 20 long he got as a starter kit at a petsmart. They told him the was a 40 gal and over the past couple weeks I've come to find this a common theme from people who buy at these big corporation pet stores. My parents tried to find a 40 for me and showed up with another 20 long, same story about him being told it was a 40. Which is why I am building my own enclosure. Then two weeks ago I found a baby sandfire on craigslist for $30. Snatched him (or her, cant really tell yet) up since I have an extra tank now. So based off your symtoms..... ummm lol. My adult spends most of his time on me or in the room with me since his cage is so small, I play with both of them regularly. I've made a viv... I watch them all the time, especially while they eat (the adult wont eat his veggies much HAHA). I talk to them so much that Bowser responds quite well to my voice. I have a 45gal tall with almost 500 adult crickets and cricket food and water in it, located on the floor IN the house, same room as the beardies, which happens to be the front room when you walk in the house HAHA. And on top of that I have another tub with 500 2 week old crickets in it. I don't really hear them I tend to zone them out pretty easy. My girlfriend on the other hand... "You don't hear that?!" "Hear what?" "Those Crickets!" HAHA. She's so supportive though. Once I can get my garage cleaned out and once Bowser is in his new cage I will start breeding the crickets. So easy and a lot cheaper.

So I um, have all of the symtoms listed above. In a matter of just a few weeks, I have all of that. :D

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
lol dang that's sucks people being sold a 20 gallon long and being told its a 40 gallon breeder I was thinking the foot print / base / floor space might of been the same, but I just looked up the sizes the 20 gallon long is missing 6 inches width and depth...

I started breeding dubias the sound didn't bother me with crickets we have tons outside of my house just the smell!

Yeah my girlfriend is supportive about my hobbies too. She's usually taking pictures for me with her fancy camera lol.

-Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom