Bearded dragon spasms???!! Gasp

aiyoume

Please help, I think my beardie may have a URI?????? I’m really not sure how she got one. I just noticed that she had been breathing shallowly and then would twitch suddenly like a hiccup. She was doing that and then I just got on camera her gasping and coughing like if she had a URI!! I’m so concerned for her and I want to take her to the vet ASAP but I’m not sure if there is anything I can do for her until I can get her in.

Her basking temp was a little high I noticed (110) so she hadn’t really been sitting at her basking spot so I changed it and now it’s like 100-105. I JUST changed her UVB bulb (ReptiSun 10.0 T5 on top of mesh) but I’m buying testers to make sure it’s correct. I was giving her calcium 2-3 times a week and multivitamin twice a week. But parts of her urate were hard and red this week so I was cutting down on supplements :( she does have a water fountain in her enclosure but it’s on her cool side. I’m not sure how humidity came into play for her.

Her appetite has been good! She still shows interest in her bugs and salad. I’m so worried for her rn. What do I do :(

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please help, I think my beardie may have a URI?????? I’m really not sure how she got one. I just noticed that she had been breathing shallowly and then would twitch suddenly like a hiccup. She was doing that and then I just got on camera her gasping and coughing like if she had a URI!! I’m so concerned for her and I want to take her to the vet ASAP but I’m not sure if there is anything I can do for her until I can get her in.

Her basking temp was a little high I noticed (110) so she hadn’t really been sitting at her basking spot so I changed it and now it’s like 100-105. I JUST changed her UVB bulb (ReptiSun 10.0 T5 on top of mesh) but I’m buying testers to make sure it’s correct. I was giving her calcium 2-3 times a week and multivitamin twice a week. But parts of her urate were hard and red this week so I was cutting down on supplements :( she does have a water fountain in her enclosure but it’s on her cool side. I’m not sure how humidity came into play for her.

Her appetite has been good! She still shows interest in her bugs and salad. I’m so worried for her rn. What do I do :(
Unless she drinks from it I would take the fountain out. Humidity is not a big issue like a lot make it out to be. That being said if your beardie does have an uri excessive humidity might make it worse. @Drache613 @AHBD or @Claudiusx might be the best to ask what steps you can take till you can get her in to see a vet

aiyoume

Original Poster
Unless she drinks from it I would take the fountain out. Humidity is not a big issue like a lot make it out to be. That being said if your beardie does have an uri excessive humidity might make it worse. @Drache613 @AHBD or @Claudiusx might be the best to ask what steps you can take till you can get her in to see a vet
Thank you for the quick reply! I’m worried sick about her. I’m taking the fountain out rn. I put it in originally b/c she wasn’t drinking enough water and sometimes she’d go to it but it’s not an often occurrence. I’ll stick to soaks and watering greens…

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your screen on the tank will determine placement and distance of your uvb? Any mucous or wheezing going on?

aiyoume

Original Poster
Your screen on the tank will determine placement and distance of your uvb? Any mucous or wheezing going on?
No mucous from what I can see. But she made this wet hiccup sound like she was throwing something up like a baby would? It’s not exactly wheezing. I wish I could attach the video but the file is too large.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
RI's more times than not are viral in nature, which means the bodies immune system is the only thing that will be able to "cure" the sickness. A dragon that is eating well is well on it's way to fighting off any potential infection it might have.

And that is assuming your dragon has an RI. Often times, they do weird things that really have no meaning or cause.

If your husbandry is up to par, your dragon is eating, and she is remaining active and basking, you don't have much to worry about.

Sometimes what your describing is actually just the dragon stretching out their beard to prepare for an upcoming shed.

-Brandon

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
No mucous from what I can see. But she made this wet hiccup sound like she was throwing something up like a baby would? It’s not exactly wheezing. I wish I could attach the video but the file is too large.
The best way for videos it to upload to YouTube and post a link here.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I can hear a little bit of noise. Was it like a wheezing?
For now, you can go ahead & take out the water fountain
as suggested, just to lower the humidity in the case she
might have a respiratory infection starting.
Is she getting ready to shed her head, face or nose
area? Sometimes their nostrils can get plugged up &
make it difficult for them to breathe.
Can you keep her a little warmer overnight to help boost
her system right now?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

aiyoume

Original Poster
Hello,

I can hear a little bit of noise. Was it like a wheezing?
For now, you can go ahead & take out the water fountain
as suggested, just to lower the humidity in the case she
might have a respiratory infection starting.
Is she getting ready to shed her head, face or nose
area? Sometimes their nostrils can get plugged up &
make it difficult for them to breathe.
Can you keep her a little warmer overnight to help boost
her system right now?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
It was like a wheezing sound. It really concerned me so I drove a couple hours to the nearest emergency vet and she released a very loose, watery stool. They confirmed an RI as well as coccidia.

They gave her de-wormer and a shot of antibiotics. We’re on our way home, but I obviously need to clear out everything in her enclosure. I’m thinking of putting her temporarily in her old 75 gallon from when she was younger until I can fully disinfect everything. I would love any tips for this process. I will have a ceramic heat emitter running for the rest of the night to keep her warmer too. Thank you all for your concern and helpful advice. I’ve had her for almost three years and it’s my first time encountering this situation so it’s a little scary.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It was like a wheezing sound. It really concerned me so I drove a couple hours to the nearest emergency vet and she released a very loose, watery stool. They confirmed an RI as well as coccidia.

They gave her de-wormer and a shot of antibiotics. We’re on our way home, but I obviously need to clear out everything in her enclosure. I’m thinking of putting her temporarily in her old 75 gallon from when she was younger until I can fully disinfect everything. I would love any tips for this process. I will have a ceramic heat emitter running for the rest of the night to keep her warmer too. Thank you all for your concern and helpful advice. I’ve had her for almost three years and it’s my first time encountering this situation so it’s a little scary.
Only leave a few basking decor in the tank - preferably ones that are easy to keep clean and can be disinfected- coccidia is hard to get rid of- I would use a substrate like NON adhesive shelf liner or paper towels so you can either disinfect it or throw it away - Disinfectants that can be used are F 10 Rescue or WipeOut - or you can steam clean - the ones that are readily in a bottle are easier - I use F 10 can be found on Ebay
Zoo Med Wipe Out 1 Terrarium Cleaner, Disinfectant and Deodorizer
F10 SC Veterinary Reptile Disinfectant this is what your looking for --
ReptiSan Habitat Disinfectant and Cleaner Concentrate (5 fl. oz.) this would probably work as well it has the Chlorhexidine gluconate 2% in it - you can read the instructions on the website for it - I would keep the night time temps around 80 or so - please no more water fountains - what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture?

aiyoume

Original Poster
Only leave a few basking decor in the tank - preferably ones that are easy to keep clean and can be disinfected- coccidia is hard to get rid of- I would use a substrate like NON adhesive shelf liner or paper towels so you can either disinfect it or throw it away - Disinfectants that can be used are F 10 Rescue or WipeOut - or you can steam clean - the ones that are readily in a bottle are easier - I use F 10 can be found on Ebay
Zoo Med Wipe Out 1 Terrarium Cleaner, Disinfectant and Deodorizer
F10 SC Veterinary Reptile Disinfectant this is what your looking for --
ReptiSan Habitat Disinfectant and Cleaner Concentrate (5 fl. oz.) this would probably work as well it has the Chlorhexidine gluconate 2% in it - you can read the instructions on the website for it - I would keep the night time temps around 80 or so - please no more water fountains - what kind of UVB are you using? coil or a long tube fixture?
I have her moved in a 75 gallon she hadn’t been using for a couple of years. I have a steam cleaner so I steam cleaned it and she’s sitting on paper towels rn. Her UVB is a long tube fixture. Should her enclosure be cleaned every day or only after she poops?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have her moved in a 75 gallon she hadn’t been using for a couple of years. I have a steam cleaner so I steam cleaned it and she’s sitting on paper towels rn. Her UVB is a long tube fixture. Should her enclosure be cleaned every day or only after she poops?
They say everyday especially where she poops- you don't want her to reinfect herself - that's why I suggested the solutions - the uvb is what brand and bulb ? Is it on top of screen or inside the tank?

aiyoume

Original Poster
They say everyday especially where she poops- you don't want her to reinfect herself - that's why I suggested the solutions - the uvb is what brand and bulb ? Is it on top of screen or inside the tank?
I just bought the big bottle of F10! Hopefully will get here in a day or so. The UVB is ReptiSun 10.0 T5 and it is on top of the cage

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just bought the big bottle of F10! Hopefully will get here in a day or so. The UVB is ReptiSun 10.0 T5 and it is on top of the cage

screens will block approx 30% of the UVB - I recommend getting it inside or unobstructed directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches - her case I would recommend around 13 or so - since your using a 75 gallon tank please get it inside - how old is the UVB?

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigNikko33
Top Bottom