Cohabitation - Is It Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffStLouis

Hi Everyone,
I'm a relatively new dragon daddy (4 months now, but who's counting :lol: ), and I have two adolescent beardies whom have cohabited since we've had them. We bought them for my two boys (ages 4 and 2), who were bugging me for a hamster, but the memories of a squeaking wheel from my childhood came back and made up my mind. I've always enjoyed reptiles, and their gentle nature seemed perfect for my boys. While the pet store couldn't tell me for sure their ages at the time of purchase, I am going to estimate they are about 8 and 6 months old. The older dragon, Spaz, is getting to the point I may be able to sex him/her. But the younger, Gonzo, is still too small to sex yet.
My question is this: can they continue to cohabit since that is really all they've ever known, or do I need to split them up? There has been no aggressive behavior, and they seem to get along very well (resting on top of one another, etc.). While I realize cohabitation would require a very large enclosure (especially since Spaz is growing very rapidly), but it just seems to me that living together would be better than living in isolation. I'm open to any and all suggestions, and promise to get pictures of all my "kids" up here... Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Jeff

imsarah

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I just picked up my boy and girl on Sunday night and they've been tankmates since they were babies. I don't think I could bring myself to separate them. Unless of course one started picking on the other.

LJean

Extreme Poster
It's hard to say if the two beardies will get along. Some people have good luck with cohousing and some disastrous.
Basically the problems with it:
Housing two males most likely will lead to fighting, possibly to the death of one.
Male and female most likely a mating. The male will be ready to mate before the female is old enough and may continue to harrass her. Also if they are from the same clutch, or have the same parents, you are basically mating brother and sister.
Two females may get along, may not.

It's up to you to weigh the risks involved. :)

In my opinion, I would not be housing them together for much longer, especially if you still are unsure about the gender of them. I've heard far too many horror stories about beardies getting territorial and picking fights that could possibly end in a death and/or a loss of limbs or some of the tail. Often times one becomes more dominant and will begin to pick on the weaker beardie. :(
Are they showing any stress marks on their belly/beard?

My little female is scared to death of our slightly older male and if she sees or smells him she immediately gets dark stress marks and turns nearly an overall black color. I know I would not be able to house them together.

kirby

Extreme Poster
dragons are solitary animals, and thrive alone.

young dragons are kept together by breeders etc. as in all seriousness, who has hundreds of 20 gallon tanks for their breeding stock?

pet shops, purely to save space.

you 'may' get away with it for a few weeks, but very soon one will eat more, grow more, bask more, and be more dominant. and by then stress is attacking the immune system, growth and development and you will begin to see signs of the stressful heirachy. you may be lucky enough to not see an arm wave, head bob, or fight. but trust me.. one day they will act out in a violet fight. no matter if they were brought up together, its in their nature. seperation is best done ASAP.

then there comes into question sex, both the act and their development. males develop earlier, and dont have a care in the world that their cagemate is their sister. they will pesker, abuse and violently mate with her. early breeding will lead to stunted growth and development, loss of scales possibly egg bound, and death.

best you find each of your babies their own seperate home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom