Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Never tried

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chris.

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Both my boy and my girl are in shed right now and I noticed that for the girl she doesn't want anything to do with it after she shed it off. There are pieces of her literally laying everywhere around the enclosure.

For my boy on the other hand the tank is almost spotless and when I show him his own shed he will just eat it out of my hand. He has done so since I got him and I don't see any issue with this at all, I used to drench the pieces in water and feed it to him so he will get some more fluids.

So I'm just curious do your dragons eat their own shed? Do you even offer it to them? I'm a bit torn between "it sure has some nutrients" and "it's like feeding them toilet paper"...

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I have never seen or suspected it.
But I don't know what he does when I don't look or have no camera running, obviously ;)
I'm not feeding him the shed intentionally but if he would like to eat it I won't prevent him from doing so.

I think it should contain calcium and protein.
Other animals normally eat their shed, e.g. I know this from my hissing cockroaches and also when I had hermit crabs it was part of their normal shedding process.

Chris.

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I've heard it's lack if calcium also. But I have no idea for sure.
Probably not, he had a blood test done in April and calcium was pretty amazing.
I think he just likes it or wants more calcium due to shedding right now.
So none of yours do eat their sheds?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Probably not, he had a blood test done in April and calcium was pretty amazing.
I think he just likes it or wants more calcium due to shedding right now.
So none of yours do eat their sheds?
I've never seen a one of mine do it. I usually use a vacuum cleaner to ckean up when they are done.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I've also not seen him eating it. Well, I cannot be sure if a tiny bit was missing, but the amount always looks reasonable. (I pick it out with long bamboo tongs - also sold from reptile brands, I saw, but just got them as barbecue tongs :D Works also nice to wipe the glass by grabbing a paper towel with the tongs, or for grabbing whatever inside the enclosure, like food carried around.)

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigNikko33
Top Bottom