hand-feeding yes or no? & btween eyes-food size length or wi

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Questions:

I thought I read that you should not hand-feed, but I keep reading posts where people are hand-feeding their beardies. Is there a right or wrong answer, or does it depend on the personality of the beardie?

Also, I know the size of the food should not be bigger than the space between their eyes. I watched a video on a site that i purchased crickets and it said the width of the cricket should not be fatter than space between eyes. I thought it was the length of the cricket, but maybe I just assumed that?

Serrameth

i would also like to know the answer to question two..as i have the same dilema!

i hear that hand feeding is a good idea..kinda like a dog? makes them get used to you and associate you with something good!

runningguy

Hatchling Member
When I first got my beardie about 6 weeks ago he would eat insects and veggies in front of me. Now he doesn't eat the veggies if I'm around. I have to quietly go into the room to watch (which never works because he can hear me) or check his plate late in the day to see how much he ate. But he will usually take collard greens or dandelion greens out of my hand, so if I hand feed him I know that he ate some greens, instead of just guessing by what is left on his plate. Long post for such a short answer....

For feeder size I consider not only the size but also how soft the insect is and how tough it is for him to swallow. If he can swallow it whole in one gulp or has to bite into it once then swallow, it is OK. When you see the videos on YouTube of people giving beardies a mouse and the beardie has to chew it five times and it takes a minute to swallow, that is not good. Remember that there is no harm in giving insects that are slightly too small, except that you need more of them (which can cost more). Just buy a few big crickets and watch carefully for a few days before buying large crickets in bulk on line.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Ive always hand fed my beardie alot of things, but he has to hunt his crickets on his own. The only down side is that he wont eat his veggies with out me, but he is still young so Im pretty sure that he will eat more on his own when he is more interested in them. But at least I know that he eats some of his veggies!

And Ive always gone by length for crickets, and width for worms. If you want to see if your beardie can eat bigger cricket, just ask the pet store to throw in 2 or 3 larger ones along with the size you usually buy. If he does good with them, then you can go ahead and feed the bigger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joncelona
Top Bottom