Just heard back from the vet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeRC

I just heard from my vet and my beardie has coccidia and pin worms. What medication is needed to treat this? Its gonna be a few weeks before Im able to get her to the vet again and was wondering if Id be able to purchase the meds myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Gail

BD.org Addict
You can use panacur for the pinworms and it can be bought over the counter but the meds you need for the coccidia must be prescribed.

MikeRC

Original Poster
Maybe Im not looking in the right place, I cant seam to find panacur anywhere just information on using it for other animals. Any more help on this would be appreciated. The vet did say the coccidia count was low and recommended I focus on treating the pinworms..

Gail

BD.org Addict
I buy the stuff made for horses, its a big tube that says panacur 10% paste. I get it either at the vets or at any farm supply store. You won't find any specifically made for reptiles or instructions on dosage. Once you get some, we can help you with dosage but you have to know your dragons weight in grams.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
MikeRC":27g9butl said:
Maybe Im not looking in the right place, I cant seam to find panacur anywhere just information on using it for other animals. Any more help on this would be appreciated. The vet did say the coccidia count was low and recommended I focus on treating the pinworms..

The site; Beautiful Dragons.com will have the panacur: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Reptilestore.html

Also Bug De lite: http://bug-de-lite.com/Products Page.html
For the Coccidia please search this site for information on a product called Ponazuril. It kills coccidia. Most all vets prescribe *Albon* but it is very harsh on their system. Many people here use Ponazuril and I heard about it from Laura here (thank you Laura! if you read this :D)

You have to get your vet to phone the pharmacy for it. Here is the link to Road Runner Pharmacy: http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com/ It will come in liquid form. You will want to order the 40ml pkg. It is 15mg per ml suspension.....your vet will want to know that for dosage. It is $39.00 and will last 6 months I believe and there will be plenty left after treatment.

Hope this helps, we are going through the same think....pinworms, protozoa, and coccidia :(

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Gail":mbqrj0qq said:
I buy the stuff made for horses, its a big tube that says panacur 10% paste. I get it either at the vets or at any farm supply store. You won't find any specifically made for reptiles or instructions on dosage. Once you get some, we can help you with dosage but you have to know your dragons weight in grams.

Oops! Sorry Gail :roll: I was called away in the middle of my posting and did not know you had taken care of that LOL

I hope they can find the panacur where they are in small enough dose :shock: All they have around here is a huge tube for over $200! :laughhard: Our vet just gave us the syringes pre filled for Razz, two of them and charged me about $12.00. It is definately cheaper to buy it elsewhere and if you ask Gail, I know she will tell you that she uses it as a preventative as well.

Gail

BD.org Addict
$200, wow. That must be one huge tube. The tube I get is enough for a 1500lb horse and sells for about $10. Its safe guard brand and lasts forever.

MikeRC

Original Poster
Thank you for all the help. Will I be needing Acidophiliz+ during the the time Im using panacur? Also should I treat the pinworms before i begin the meds for the coccidia? I dont wanna do anything that might harm my beardie.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
@ Sherri You're welcome!! Hope Razz is doing better!

Also Sherri, I think you meant the Ponazuril is $200 for a tube, not the Panacur.. :wink:

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
lauraj1055":2ieaissv said:
@ Sherri You're welcome!! Hope Razz is doing better!

Also Sherri, I think you meant the Ponazuril is $200 for a tube, not the Panacur.. :wink:

LOL, yep, I was just about to write that! Man...I think I finally have all these meds straight :roll: It will be wonderful to be finished with them.

I am really a little bummed b/c the vet did not tell me to do the Panacur first for the pinworms *sigh*. Due to shipping it was a week after the first dose of Panacur when I did the Ponazuril..then another week after that for the second dose of Panacur.
Do you think that will be OK?

@MikeRC..I did not mean to hijack your post :mrgreen: Maybe if we get the whole *when* to give the meds thing in order it will help someone else who reads this LOL Not to mention I might find out if what I did will be OK! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Addi
Top Bottom