malystrx's new substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I was wondering if i could get some oppinions on the new substrate i want to put in my dragons tank. Malice is still little more than a baby no longer then 9in however my little on has been bedding down on some indoor/outdoor carpet and I am hoping to upgrade that with a new tank. I'm totally new to the beardie world and I need some help figuring out a solution to the problem i am having with crickets getting under the carpet. I am planning to line the new tank with 6"x6" tiles and i dont want the crickets falling into the cracks.
The idea i had to solve this issue is to lay all my slate tiles then fill in the gaps with sand instead of something like grout. My boyfriend and i are concerned however because we keep finding mixed opinions of whether or not to put sand in the tank because of compaction concerns. If anyone can offer any opinions to this please help. I would really like to use sand in the tank even if i have to wait for my beardie to get a little bigger. Sand sugesstions would be very welcome too :D

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
I kept my adult on sand most of this summer, and used sand when I originally adopted Equinox. I switched over to tile because of all the compaction issues I've heard about. If you do use sand, use either sifted play sand or I've heard Repti Sand is also alright, as it doesn't clump. The ones to avoid are the "digestable" sands, as they are made so that the essentially turn into cement in your beardie's tummy.
That's my two cents, I do use a bit of sand to fill in the area around Noxy's tiles, he likes to burrow still.
Awesome name for your beardie, by the way!

Karagenknight

Original Poster
See what I am looking to do is only use just enought sand to partialy fill in the tile gaps so that it wont flow over onto the tiles in the hopes that this would be less risk for ingestion. the tile gaps are very narrow and i shouldnt need to used very much sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Addi
Top Bottom