Say hello to the daemon queen

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Oh ok! Thank you! I'm familiar with ball python morphs and genetics (I was originally going to get a ball python instead of a beardie, so glad I got the beardie). Sounds sort of similar. I just wasn't sure if it was the same for beardies.
Gentics work the same in all species. Het (Heterozygous) means a gene is carried but not displayed. It takes a copy from each parent to be displayed. Homozygous means it dominant and displays with a copy from just 1 parent.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
She looks so cute! Her cage looks awesome for her. She'll definitely get a lot of exercise in there, she's going to be so fit lol. Where did you get her cage? Honestly it's eye capturing. Congrats on the new beardie! I wish they can stay little forever.
Thank you so much. Yes, as I learned with my boy, their desire for climbing (especially when they are young) is very often underestimated.
My local reptile store works together with a near by carpenter that provides the wooden planks. Everything else I did DIY and I did even cut the tree for the big branch from our own ranch (it had to go anyway) :)

Yeah I wish they would stay small also but at the same time I'm soo proud and glad she has already more than doubled her weight during the first two weeks ;)

Beardie name(s)
Buddy
Thank you so much. Yes, as I learned with my boy, their desire for climbing (especially when they are young) is very often underestimated.
My local reptile store works together with a near by carpenter that provides the wooden planks. Everything else I did DIY and I did even cut the tree for the big branch from our own ranch (it had to go anyway) :)

Yeah I wish they would stay small also but at the same time I'm soo proud and glad she has already more than doubled her weight during the first two weeks ;)
Oh that's so cool that your pet store can get that kind of access to the cages! I commend you for creating some things on your own so you can give a piece of love to you beardie. Hopefully I can find a cage that big and good for my little weirdo. Congrats again!

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
My local reptile store works together with a near by carpenter that provides the wooden planks.
That is cool (that they work together). Do you know if people who buy a reptile there also often get material to build an enclosure?
I did even cut the tree for the big branch from our own ranch (it had to go anyway)
I had thought so (just looking at the branch... reminds me very much of my home country :D)

I also love it that bearded dragons live in a bit a variety of habitats in the wild, so different setups are possible. For you, the "forest" setup is likely the one that works best (easy access to branches for you), whereas for me here right in the Atacama the "desert" setup was the best to implement (branches are hard to get, but the sand, the stones - for free).

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
That is cool (that they work together). Do you know if people who buy a reptile there also often get material to build an enclosure?
Honestly I don't know as I only buy some feeder insects and small accessories there. They have bearded dragons from time to time but they are specialized to ball pythons (they have the biggest breeding in Europe).
Both my dragons are from local breeders.

Their natural habitat is also quite divers. Dessert really doesn't do it too much justice if you look up how the Australian outback really looks.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Honestly I don't know as I only buy some feeder insects and small accessories there.
I was just thinking of exactly the situation when you go there for feeders and might chat.
Like when I went to the store where I got my Taco from (I will not get another reptile*; I only buy there some feeders, but not even accessories as they don't have the lamps), I'm often asked how he's doing, and I showed photos.

Their natural habitat is also quite divers. Dessert really doesn't do it too much justice if you look up how the Australian outback really looks.
I even did so (generally love documentaries and such). That's why I mentioned that I like that they can be kept well in different setups.

*100% not. I love reptiles, I love herps in general, the store is fine, but I just don't want to add another pet with all the difficulties of buying the lamps. If I would have to buy twice as many... no way. (Right now, for example, there is no basking lamp available in Chile - checked tons of stores, all are out of stock. I have a bunch of spare ones, accumulated over some time, so no problem for Taco, but you see the general problem. I have one single store in Chile that can deliver the tube (like the basking lamp also not sold by a store in town or in any distance that makes sense to go there) - ordered it a while before I need to replace it just to be on the safe side.)
We have Taco, we have fish (just a simple aquarium with some cory catfish and plati), hissing cockroaches (had two months ago three fat ones escaping, found number one behind a sideboard, number two stomped flat next to the elevator... and number three was found yesterday in the dark by my husband who first thought it is a leaf somebody might have brought in with their shoes, but then recognized that "leaf" was running under the bed, then he put half of the bedroom apart :D "hisser" is now back in his tank which we made breakout-proof in the meanwhile) - enough. I might add some low-maintenance insects or other invertebrates if I could get them (thought a while of train millipedes but not available here, also mantis are not available here, different countries have different rules about especially invertebrates).
I remember my husband once being asked if I had any problems with the insects I have to keep for my dragon - you know, common prejudice "wife fears insects"
I remember my husband once being asked if I had any problems with the insects I have to keep for my dragon - you know, common prejudice "wife fears insects", scary worms and roaches ;)
His answer was "no, the problem is the opposite, she likes all those crawlers" :D Like: Oh, they sell hissing cockroaches - oh, I want some! (It's not that I do impulse buying, not doing so as I think also insects should have a good life, but it's that fear or disgust isn't there.)

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I was just thinking of exactly the situation when you go there for feeders and might chat.
Like when I went to the store where I got my Taco from (I will not get another reptile*; I only buy there some feeders, but not even accessories as they don't have the lamps), I'm often asked how he's doing, and I showed photos.

I even did so (generally love documentaries and such). That's why I mentioned that I like that they can be kept well in different setups.

*100% not. I love reptiles, I love herps in general, the store is fine, but I just don't want to add another pet with all the difficulties of buying the lamps. If I would have to buy twice as many... no way. (Right now, for example, there is no basking lamp available in Chile - checked tons of stores, all are out of stock. I have a bunch of spare ones, accumulated over some time, so no problem for Taco, but you see the general problem. I have one single store in Chile that can deliver the tube (like the basking lamp also not sold by a store in town or in any distance that makes sense to go there) - ordered it a while before I need to replace it just to be on the safe side.)
We have Taco, we have fish (just a simple aquarium with some cory catfish and plati), hissing cockroaches (had two months ago three fat ones escaping, found number one behind a sideboard, number two stomped flat next to the elevator... and number three was found yesterday in the dark by my husband who first thought it is a leaf somebody might have brought in with their shoes, but then recognized that "leaf" was running under the bed, then he put half of the bedroom apart :D "hisser" is now back in his tank which we made breakout-proof in the meanwhile) - enough. I might add some low-maintenance insects or other invertebrates if I could get them (thought a while of train millipedes but not available here, also mantis are not available here, different countries have different rules about especially invertebrates).
I remember my husband once being asked if I had any problems with the insects I have to keep for my dragon - you know, common prejudice "wife fears insects"
I remember my husband once being asked if I had any problems with the insects I have to keep for my dragon - you know, common prejudice "wife fears insects", scary worms and roaches ;)
His answer was "no, the problem is the opposite, she likes all those crawlers" :D Like: Oh, they sell hissing cockroaches - oh, I want some! (It's not that I do impulse buying, not doing so as I think also insects should have a good life, but it's that fear or disgust isn't there.)
Ah I see, actually there is a petstore nearby (6min by bike) but it's crazy expensive and mostly for cat and dog stuff and they don't sell reptiles at all. The store I was talking about is one or two hours away so I chat with them per email if I need something specific and I order online mostly.

Yes it must be a challenge sometimes living in a remote area like this. Here in Germany we can obviously get anything and I'm really glad for those all-in-one MHBs. They really last a long time like a year or more...

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Yes it must be a challenge sometimes living in a remote area like this. Here in Germany we can obviously get anything and I'm really glad for those all-in-one MHBs. They really last a long time like a year or more...
In Chile it's more like: If you live in Santiago, most things can be bought. If living somewhere else, often there is just no store for certain things, and not all the stores in Santiago ship at all, and some only ship "within the Santiago area" (we're some 1400 km from Santiago). One then ends up with "not available in town, in Santiago they might have, but don't ship" on top of "roughly twice the price as elsewhere" (for electronics and books).
Certain products known from Germany or the US are not available here so choice is limited - e.g. cannot get the Arcadia stuff. Once I needed a new protective case for my mobile phone - found that this type isn't sold here (despite a very common type elsewhere), got the case then sent from Germany. We still don't have a cover for our aquarium as there weren't such as had found no alternative so far (tried if plastic sheets from the hardware store would do the job, but they only sell in sizes of 5 x 3 m, so no).
On the opposite to that, food is crazily good there. There is a reason why they export them :D

Generally, where we are it's similar to being on an island. Remote areas in Germany (I'm originally from a "Weiler" in Landkreis Freyung-Grafenau :D) are IMHO much easier as at least Amazon or other large online sellers always work out fine if there is no store nearby, or there is a city within ~100 km where you nevertheless need to go sometimes for let's say some appointments like doctors and such, or connecting to a train station or an airport.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
In Chile it's more like: If you live in Santiago, most things can be bought. If living somewhere else, often there is just no store for certain things, and not all the stores in Santiago ship at all, and some only ship "within the Santiago area" (we're some 1400 km from Santiago). One then ends up with "not available in town, in Santiago they might have, but don't ship" on top of "roughly twice the price as elsewhere" (for electronics and books).
Certain products known from Germany or the US are not available here so choice is limited - e.g. cannot get the Arcadia stuff. Once I needed a new protective case for my mobile phone - found that this type isn't sold here (despite a very common type elsewhere), got the case then sent from Germany. We still don't have a cover for our aquarium as there weren't such as had found no alternative so far (tried if plastic sheets from the hardware store would do the job, but they only sell in sizes of 5 x 3 m, so no).
On the opposite to that, food is crazily good there. There is a reason why they export them :D

Generally, where we are it's similar to being on an island. Remote areas in Germany (I'm originally from a "Weiler" in Landkreis Freyung-Grafenau :D) are IMHO much easier as at least Amazon or other large online sellers always work out fine if there is no store nearby, or there is a city within ~100 km where you nevertheless need to go sometimes for let's say some appointments like doctors and such, or connecting to a train station or an airport.
😅 Funny, I'm about an hour south of Munich, our origins are in fairly close proximity.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom