Mite infestation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I started coming to this forum roughly 2-3 months ago, because I was doing research on what buddy I was gonna pick up next, due to the unfortunate loss of my hamster, Munchie. I searched every chain pet store for a beardy that I seemed to like, but I wasn't having much luck. I decided to take my search to smaller reptile-specific stores. It took me a really long time to decide on which beardy I wanted, but then I fell in love with a red cutie I saw at a reptile store, and decided to pick him up during my spring break. At the store, I noticed he had some sort of red dots on him, but due to my inexperience, I didn't realize it was a major health issue. I actually thought it was part of his scale coloration. :banghead: It took roughly 2 weeks before I had noticed that the red dots were much more numerous now, and were all over his body. After noticing this, I decided to take him to vet 2 days ago and to my dismay, she told me he had a horrible mite infection. :( She gave him a shot of something I'm not sure of, but I know it starts with an I. The moment I got home, I immediately quarantined him into a much smaller 10g tank and took his 40g breeder and all of his decor and disinfected it. It makes me feel absolutely horrible that I could've done something in the early stages of this damn mite infestation and I did absolutely nothing. Now hes paying for my ignorance. :angry5: I decided to make an account today and posted this for some form of support. I'll post pictures later when I get off work, but anyone else ever have a severe mite infestation? Also, how long does it normally take for the mites to die off with the help of the shot?

JohnnieDoesntLy

Original Poster
So I just got off work and here are the photos of my poor baby :(
MITES5_zpsf6847676.jpg
MITES1_zps44d9f0e1.jpg
MITES2_zpseb2d927f.jpg
MITES4_zps6524b937.jpg
MITES3_zps0bd23c21.jpg

Lenewen

Juvie Member
No idea how long it takes for an infestation like that to clear up :/ He's a cute little bugger though! Don't worry, he'll be fine. Bleach everything and let it air dry for a few days.

dear lord you poor person! mites are painfully difficultto get rid of and it can take months of hard work. one way that worked for me when i had nsake mites was to remove the animal from the enclosure and let him soak, while i throughly cleaned the habitat. soaked all his branches, hides, and dishes in 10% bleach solution for 30 min. after i throughly clean the habitat. i took Rid lice spray (the one you use for your bedding) and sprayed the habitat. let it dry then replaced his accessories in the habitat. the RId spray has the same ingredients as the provent-a-mite spray but at a lot less cost. I also had lucky using the natural chemestry mite spray you spray on the reptiles in conjucntion wiht thi streatment. I have heard of bearded keepers take a soft tooth brush and gently scrubbing their beardeds to get the mites off of them as well. good luck.

Ashley

also make sure the rid spray is completely dry before returning the reptile to the habitat and dont use the rid spray directly on the reptile. when wet it can make them sick.

JohnnieDoesntLy

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply guys! Have any of you tried mite-off by zoo med? I sprayed that along with the shot that he got at the vets.

w0554096

Juvie Member
Hello,
I have never personally used the Mite-off, but I have read a few good reviews on it. You'll want to make sure when spraying anything in his cage that you focus on all of the cracks and crevices. This is generally where the female will lay her eggs. Was the shot that he got Ivermectin?

JohnnieDoesntLy

Original Poster
Yup I made sure to swab all the crevices and corners with a cotton swab drenched in the mite-off. I think that's what the shot was called. I'm not 100% sure but that name sounds familiar. I really hope this works :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dezid44
Top Bottom