Need Opinion on Weight / Body Condition

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I thought Figment was doing pretty well, body wise, but when I was feeding him the other day I noticed a “dent” in the base of his tail, and started wondering if he’s underweight. I thought his fat pads were good… but now I wonder if I’m looking at the wrong part of his head.

I tried to get a good shot after his bath, but he did that “shrinking in” thing (3rd from last pic) and looked positively emaciated! Here are some pics… do I need a vet, or just up his meal amount?

Attachments

• IMG_4984.jpeg
    IMG_4984.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4985.jpeg
    IMG_4985.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5004.jpeg
    IMG_5004.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 20

Chris.

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
The "dent" you call it looks like his hip bones. He doesn't look terrible, it might just have been the way he was sitting. Can you feel the hip bone if you run your fingers down on his back?

The tail should be thiner at the base and then flare out before going towards the tip. It is pretty good visible on my boy where it is thiner at the arrows and then flares out:
IMG_20240628_200100.jpg

The fatpads look fine, I don't think you need a vet. How heavy is he and at what lenght?

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi John and Chris,

Thanks for weighing in (no pun intended!). I will definitely up Figment’s hydration; he’s a pain because he refuses to drink from the bath 99% of the time and using a water dropper is hit or miss. I do mist his veggies. I’ll see if I can order some hornworms- that should help!

I’ve been remiss and haven’t taken his weight or length lately… I’ll get on that this weekend and post.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hi John and Chris,

Thanks for weighing in (no pun intended!). I will definitely up Figment’s hydration; he’s a pain because he refuses to drink from the bath 99% of the time and using a water dropper is hit or miss. I do mist his veggies. I’ll see if I can order some hornworms- that should help!

I’ve been remiss and haven’t taken his weight or length lately… I’ll get on that this weekend and post.
You can mix just a little none citrus fruit juice or punch in his water when you use yhe dropper. Just be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down his chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in his scales.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You can mix just a little none citrus fruit juice or punch in his water when you use yhe dropper. Just be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down his chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus to start in his scales.
Thanks! I’ll try that!

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonMother2013
Top Bottom