Advice on lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumbelowt

just got me a baby bearded dragon today. It is a Het Trans & Hypo. I forgot to ask how old he/she is will check tomorrow. I built a custom enclosure 42LX24WX24H out of plywood and plexiglass front. Right now I have three light fixtures in it. One basking light with a 150 watt white light a 2 foot fluorescent strip with a 10.0 UVB light and a third fixture with a black 75 watt light for night time. Right now during the day mu basking spot gets to 120 degrees and the cool side gets to 90 degrees. Is this too hot? I've done the research and basking should be 110 and cool side 85 however my local pet store, where I got him/her, they specialize in reptiles said this temperature is just fine. Also at nights with no lights the enclosure drops to 65. Store said keep it above 70 so I got the 75 watt black bulb. Will this all work.
Thank

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
120F is too hot for bearded dragons. If you can switch out your fixtures, try getting one with a dimmer switch. That way you can adjust your heat. If you can't switch, you'll need to get a different, lower wattage bulb until you can hit that 100-110F range. I've found my dragons prefer around 102-104 actually.

As for the black light, it's unnecessary. If you temps don't fall below 65 at night in the enclosure, you won't need any extra heat. If you feel that it does get too cold, you can use a ceramic heat emitter (looks a bit like a squished coil bulb).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom