Baby BD hardly eats :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiLLest

I received a bearded dragon for Christmas after mourning the loss of of my other one not long ago. He is a baby named Mushu ! He lives in A 50 gallon, recently took out decor so he has more room to see and hunt. His temps are held 100 basking and 80 on cool side. I have two brand new reptisun 5.0's making UVB available everywhere.

He ate a couple crux on the first day, won't eat anything other than mealworms when I reluctantly give it to him because he won't eat anything else. I've tried mealworms, criix, small Dubias, and always fresh cut up fruits and veggies. I leave pellets after when I am gone and I use light timers.

He is active at all the right times. He is extremely skiddish though. I do own a cat and my cat likes to watch Mushu on his perch ( 5feet away). Is it possible Mushu still feels threatened and won't eat because of the cat (being a predator). I don't want to exclude mushu to a rather unused part of the house but I don't feel he is comfortable yet.

I've tried using a 10gallon feeding tank, he just gets stressed out instantly and won't eat I'm a tad disappointed as anew owner of a beautiful BD. Any and all help would be fantastic!

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :). I have a few suggestions. I would put some kind of divider in the tank. That big of a tank might be stressful due to its size. I would also get rid of those UVB lights. You have the right brand but the wrong kind. You should get reptisun 10.0 tube bulbs not the 5.0 ones. I would also stop feeding mealworms. They can cause impaction.

swiLLest

Original Poster
Simply just use a divider? The sheer size is causing my little one to be stressed? I will stop sing mealworms; just I feel terrible when he won't eat anything, but I know he'll eat a mealworms. I am going to try feeding him shortly my small Dubias; I will update my success.

I use the two 5.0s because I already had them, once these go out in the next couple months, I will be upgrading to 10.0 tube.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
The size could be a problem. When I got my female I had her in a 75 gallon. She did the same thing. As soon as I divided the tank into about a 30 gallon she started acting normal. As she grew I added more space.

swiLLest

Original Poster
Fed some roaches this morning. No response from little mushu. He has good looking fecal matter though so he must be eating. Tonight I am cutting card board to split his tank in half for less room.

He let me handle him very we'll last night and this morning! I only handle him for a minute or two then put him back; often clings to me now!

swiLLest

Original Poster
Update: I cut up banana cantalop grapes and pineapple as a treat for mushu and maybe help him eat a little more. I put it in his food dish with a pellet or two. Nothing eaten yet :/

BobSaget

Get him tested for parasites. I had the same problem with my bearded dragon and it turned out he had coccidia and pinworms.

swiLLest

Original Poster
itsfish321":33gim2c9 said:
any update? having same problem with mine

I was able to block off a 1/3rd of his 40 gallon viv. He then resumed back to normal behavior! It took about 3 days after I made the change, but he liked the smaller enclosure until about 2 weeks ago. He i approx 3 months, and now uses his entire viv. He is still skittish of me 50% of the time, but we'll keep working on it! :blob8:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom