Baby Owner Thinking of Breeding in the Future

Beardie name(s)
Copper (Male Leatherback) and Callie (Female HypoTrans Leatherback)
Hey, all! I have 2 beardies right now. One around 3 months and one around 5 months.

The 5 month old (Male) is an Orange/Yellow Leatherback (Unknown any het traits)
The 3 month old (Female) is an Orange Hypo Trans Leatherback

Now I do not plan on breeding them together, due to them both being leatherbacks, so another beardie is going to be needed. What morph would you recommend I get for my third? With this being my first time breeding, I don't really have a "goal" in mind for this breeding season, but I'd rather start with a good pairing. I don't really want to drop a crazy amount of money for my first breeding pair. Just want to be successful and as humane as possible.

I take it a Male Trans Hypo would also not be a good idea, since Hypo x Hypo and Trans x Trans is the same as Leatherback x Leatherback (inhumane). Is that correct?

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I haven't seen problems with Hypo x Hypo and Trans x Trans (if that's indeed a problem, please correct me!).
The issue with Leatherback x Leatherback is that the outcome is a different one, a silkback that has no scales.
So that's inhumane is not both parents being the same, but what the outcome in this special case is: A dragon basically born with a skin condition where shedding is a problem, and the skin too fragile for normal "dragon activities".

JohnLillywhite23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I haven't seen problems with Hypo x Hypo and Trans x Trans (if that's indeed a problem, please correct me!).
The issue with Leatherback x Leatherback is that the outcome is a different one, a silkback that has no scales.
So that's inhumane is not both parents being the same, but what the outcome in this special case is: A dragon basically born with a skin condition where shedding is a problem, and the skin too fragile for normal "dragon activities".
I have heard Trans x Trans and Hypo x Hypo can have some issues, just like LB x LB. If this isn't the case, then all I have to ensure is I get a male who has great color, and not a LB :)

JohnLillywhite23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Do you remember what these are? (Question doesn't mean that I won't believe you but that I'm interested in learning more!)
I do not, as the person who made the video didn't state exactly. He just stated, it could create a very weak offspring

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I do not, as the person who made the video didn't state exactly. He just stated, it could create a very weak offspring
Hypo/hypo is ok as far as i know. Visual trans to visual trans can cause serious issues. Trans is best het to het and het to visual is in most instances ok, but there is a slim chance for issurs there also.
Another thing to be aware of is that the females can retain the sprem for a year or so. My girl Ruby has laid 87 eggs so far this year. Unless you have a reliable way to home upward of 100 babies, breeding might not be a good idea.

JohnLillywhite23

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hypo/hypo is ok as far as i know. Visual trans to visual trans can cause serious issues. Trans is best het to het and het to visual is in most instances ok, but there is a slim chance for issurs there also.
Another thing to be aware of is that the females can retain the sprem for a year or so. My girl Ruby has laid 87 eggs so far this year. Unless you have a reliable way to home upward of 100 babies, breeding might not be a good idea.
I have an entire room dedicated to my reptile collection :)

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I have an entire room dedicated to my reptile collection :)
I'm curious: Which reptiles do you have?

Regarding "the girlfriend/ wife":
For us it was the other way round:
Me (the wife) totally into reptiles, arachnids, insects (same as a kid: I was the one with no fear of whatever insect, spider, reptile, toad..., kept katydids, was the one my parents called when there was a fat spider to catch, totally a tomboy-outdoors-kid) - my husband more like: but a beardie is a bit large, but it is so spiky, will it scratch, and then - urghs - the live food... He even hoped I would be disgusted by the idea of feeding living insects so much that the idea of getting a dragon soon will be gone. Nope :D (And I'd already done so with other pets decades ago.)
He says something like that about me: "Exactly that's the problem - she likes all kinds of animals." :D

And now: We now have Taco for close to a year, and he finds him cute, he asked when he will finally be back from brumation, he finally overcame his fear of dubias and "worms" and hand-feeds Taco.

(Regarding "reptile room": We only have one reptile, Taco the bearded dragon. I would also be fully into "getting the reptile room". But especially the lamps are super expensive here in Chile, and in addition, so hard to get. Currently no single basking lamp available in all Chile since months... When I can buy one, the store sells me only a single one. So my mother-in-law in Germany ordered me a 2-year-supply I can pick up when visiting the next time (Chile and Germany have 220 V). Because of this, as much as I love reptiles - I won't get a second one as no way could I get enough lamps for two or three enclosures.
Buuut: I bought hissing cockroaches to keep as pets. I can easily keep them in addition, as no lamps required.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joncelona
Top Bottom