Black bearding when changing where sitting

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, my bearded dragon sometimes will black beard right after she has moved to a new spot. A lot of this happens when she is on the basking and moves to the other end or the middle of her tank. Yesterday and maybe today, she was doing it more frequently. She’ll be in one area. Then, later she will be sitting somewhere else with a black beard. I’ve seen her do it in front of me a couple times. Her beard turns dark then she’ll move. Or sometimes she will move then her beard will turn dark. It normally doesn’t happen a lot. And it still doesn’t happen every time she moved. But, since yesterday it has been happening more than usual. Her beard gets better with greens and crickets. It takes more greens to get it better tho. It normally makes it stay bright. Until she does it again. Sometimes it gets better when I’m sitting with her. Not completely better tho. I’m not sure if it gets better on its own or because I’m there.I’m not sure what could be causing this.

I’ve also seen a few times today she has been glass surfing with a black beard. She stops glass surfing when I come into the room. She has also been very excited for food recently. She normally is excited. But, she has been more aggressive about it. She keeps trying to eat my fingers. She is 5 years old.

Attachments

• 0E133503-A511-40F2-8AF4-CB741D948F2A.jpeg
    0E133503-A511-40F2-8AF4-CB741D948F2A.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 74D16DBB-65CE-4754-B476-216228E17E87.jpeg
    74D16DBB-65CE-4754-B476-216228E17E87.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 26
  • D54D2EEE-A925-44B4-AB94-0B20AB3B6ECE.jpeg
    D54D2EEE-A925-44B4-AB94-0B20AB3B6ECE.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 8556ECAC-75FB-451E-AA96-537E4F798926.jpeg
    8556ECAC-75FB-451E-AA96-537E4F798926.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 588EE920-F41A-49AA-BBB9-432DDA4C9C09.jpeg
    588EE920-F41A-49AA-BBB9-432DDA4C9C09.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 3B5D3370-B897-4B04-BAC8-C5B78372F165.jpeg
    3B5D3370-B897-4B04-BAC8-C5B78372F165.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Meli

I'm not an exceptionally experienced keeper, but I'll take a crack at it.

Does she have any sensitive spots on her? Try holding her and inspecting her legs, tummy, tail, and other spots. Note anything odd you see and if she tries to keep you from interacting with something as if it's sore (though keep in mind it could just be here wiggling cuz you're touching her feet, for example). Can also feel belly to see if any eggies or if she might have an impaction or The Big Poop.

If she's healthy, unhurt, eating well and seems to drop the surfing and black beard when you're near or when she's being interacted with.. She might just be bored!

Try varying her diet a bit, introduce a new toy or two. If she is harness trained take her for a walk inside or outside the house!

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I'm not an exceptionally experienced keeper, but I'll take a crack at it.

Does she have any sensitive spots on her? Try holding her and inspecting her legs, tummy, tail, and other spots. Note anything odd you see and if she tries to keep you from interacting with something as if it's sore (though keep in mind it could just be here wiggling cuz you're touching her feet, for example). Can also feel belly to see if any eggies or if she might have an impaction or The Big Poop.

If she's healthy, unhurt, eating well and seems to drop the surfing and black beard when you're near or when she's being interacted with.. She might just be bored!

Try varying her diet a bit, introduce a new toy or two. If she is harness trained take her for a walk inside or outside the house!
Hello, she is sleeping right now, but I will inspect her in the morning. She doesn’t like me touching her too much, so it might be a bit hard. I also know she doesn’t ever like me touching around her butt and beginning of her tail. She gives me a glare. And moves away. I also don’t think I can feel for eggs. Since the last time she had eggs, I could not feel them. She pooped today. And she has been pooping I think a good amount. Every 2-3 days at the moment. I will try varying her diet. She always seems to want to eat anything I’m holding. So, she might want more variety. I can also get her to chase some things too. If that might help with boredom. Thank you very much!!!

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, she is sleeping right now, but I will inspect her in the morning. She doesn’t like me touching her too much, so it might be a bit hard. I also know she doesn’t ever like me touching around her butt and beginning of her tail. She gives me a glare. And moves away. I also don’t think I can feel for eggs. Since the last time she had eggs, I could not feel them. She pooped today. And she has been pooping I think a good amount. Every 2-3 days at the moment. I will try varying her diet. She always seems to want to eat anything I’m holding. So, she might want more variety. I can also get her to chase some things too. If that might help with boredom. Thank you very much!!!
Also, what is the big poop?

Meli

The glare for the base of her tail could just be typical femme lizzir behavior - "don't touch my butt, perv"

If that location seems swollen or tender, or the base of her tail does, might be worth looking in to o: but typically if they're sick or hurting they don't really eat much, if at all.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
The glare for the base of her tail could just be typical femme lizzir behavior - "don't touch my butt, perv"

If that location seems swollen or tender, or the base of her tail does, might be worth looking in to o: but typically if they're sick or hurting they don't really eat much, if at all.
Ok, thank you very much! I’ll look to see how it looks in the morning. The last time I touched it was a week or two ago. Because I was trying to clean her butt. It know it doesn’t look swollen.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Thanks for reading da post and I wish you good luck with the lil critter. Also. I just call a large poop The Big Poop. Sometimes the little critters can go without pooping for weeks.

The result is The Big Poop. Lmao
Ok, thank you!!! I didn’t know if it was a special poop I’ve never heard of. Or just referring to a large poop!

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, I felt her. She didn’t seem upset about anywhere. Her stomach felt squishy. There was one part that was hard and sorta round. But, I think that was her chest not her stomach. And I think I’ve felt it before, but I’m not sure. She has been glass surfing and black bearding in the morning.

Last edited:

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, I felt her. She didn’t seem upset about anywhere. Her stomach felt squishy. There was one part that was hard and sorta round. But, I think that was her chest not her stomach. And I think I’ve felt it before, but I’m not sure. She has been glass surfing and black bearding a lot when I’m not around.
I also weighed her. I got 344 grams. A month ago she was 352 grams. She was moving around a lot. The most it got to was 360 as she was jumping out. So, I believe her weight is around the same.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Lots of dragons don't like being touched at the base of the tail (my boy included, not sure about my girl though, she's still too small).
By butt you mean the vent I assume(!?), my boy has no issue there.

The blackbearding could be just her moods or she has something that's making her uncomfortable moving. Or she could do this to show her dominance. They recognize males and females in humans as well, which might influence their behaviour....just throwing some thoughts in there

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Lots of dragons don't like being touched at the base of the tail (my boy included, not sure about my girl though, she's still too small).
By butt you mean the vent I assume(!?), my boy has no issue there.

The blackbearding could be just her moods or she has something that's making her uncomfortable moving. Or she could do this to show her dominance. They recognize males and females in humans as well, which might influence their behaviour....just throwing some thoughts in there
I didn’t mean vent. Just her tail base. She seems to have no trouble moving when she wants food. Like she will run for it. So hopefully nothing is making her uncomfortable. I’m not sure how to tell though. She pooped today. I don’t know if having a poop would make it uncomfortable for her to move or not. Thank you very much!!!

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I didn’t mean vent. Just her tail base. She seems to have no trouble moving when she wants food. Like she will run for it. So hopefully nothing is making her uncomfortable. I’m not sure how to tell though. She pooped today. I don’t know if having a poop would make it uncomfortable for her to move or not. Thank you very much!!!
I did check for soreness. And she seemed not to be bothered by anything. Would that help check to see if she is uncomfortable?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom