changing colors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random

I'm not sure if this is the right discussion thread, but i've had my dragon for a little over two weeks now. He's doing great. Fat and very happy. Almost immediately after getting him, he started to shed. In the beginning his legs and tail were a deep red-orange color, now they are the same color as the rest of his body, which is different shades of light green and brown. I honestly couldn't care less what color he is, but him changing colors has posed a few questions. Like "is this normal?", or "is it possible that the breeder painted him to look more desireable?" I wish I had pictures but my camera broke right after taking pics of him, so I cant show you how drastic the change is. So is it possible for such a change? As far as I know, his mother was a snow. He was labeled as a rainbowxsnow, but I have yet to find info on a rainbow, or anyone who has heard of this morph. Only that there is a breeding facility that calls themselves Rainbow Dragons. Other info that may help is his hatch date is 9-28. So if anyone can help me, I would very much appreciate it. Thank You.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Colours often change as beardies grow. With mine tho, their original colours have just become more vibrant over time with each shed.

However, I have heard of breeders using all sorts of tricks to 'colour in' their beardies. One breeder uses red repti-bark which gives off a slightly orange dust. Another I know of was using blue sand to claim they had rare beardies with blue legs and a third was using orange sand to create similar effects.

Its possible your beardies legs had been 'stained' due to his substrate.... but then again, it could just be how he is growing up. Either way, im sure you will love him just the same!!! hehe!

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Color changing is normal although I wouldn't REALLY expect a single beardie to cover the whole rainbow spectrum. They will be very pale when they are getting ready to shed. My beardie gets almost gray, but when the skin comes off he is a nice bright yellow & orange color. When he is cold of irritated, he will darken and look brown, but even then you can still see his orange colors. Warm and cozy usually means brighter colors for my guy (except during shedding). If you have a baby, you can expect more frequent shedding and probably some color variation with each shed.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
The intensity of color changes with age, and how close to shedding the dragon is. When he is a sub adult, that has just shed and eaten, sitting in perfect basking temps he should be a colorful as he gets. The tones of the color change depending on shed skin coming loose from the surface, and dark coloration develops to retain more heat from the basking source. As far as the color morph it is really up to the owner or seller to name it what they like. Rainbow x Snow are both colors determined by the breeder without any hint as to bloodline. Like in people the dragon has a mixed heritage in the gene pool, and without knowing the details, what you see is what you get.

Jeff

lol some of you are just faster typers lol

Random

Original Poster
I contacted the guy that I bought Marley from. The remaining female also shed all the red pigment on her legs and tail. So he suspects the same as MissT said, a colored substrate. I'm not at all bothered by his change. In fact, it's quite appealing, especially since I was attracted to his attitude and nothing else. Thank you all for the info. It's very much appreciated. :D I'm looking forward to Marley teaching me how to be an appropriate slave...and all the NATURAL changes he will go through lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Addi
Top Bottom