Cyst in eye - bulging after surgery, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cetara04

Original Poster
It funny you ask that because I was going to get a new UVB light today after work. My UVB is probably about a yr old now. I probably shoulda replaced it a bit sooner. Temperatures are around high 90's on his warm side and around 80ish on cool side. I have never tried Critical Care. Though I have been adding in his vitamins in the baby food I have been feeding him. Can I get the CC from a pet store or is it a prescription from vets?

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
I bought ours from our vet -- I am not sure if stores carry it, unless they have a vet associated with them. I would call around a few vets in your area and ask who has it, and cost. I think I paid more than necessary for it, not sure what normal is -- ours was $14 for a pouch of the fine-grind Critical Care. It is a powder, you mix it 3:1 water/CC -- then we add a dab of babyfood or pureed fresh fruit to help the flavor.

When you mix it, that portion will keep for 24 hours in the fridge, we heat it for 8 seconds in the microwave to take the chill off. Mix small portions at a time, like a teaspoon of CC & 3 teaspoons of hot water. That way you won't have waste. Then use the needle-free-syringe to feed.

It has the D3, the calcium, B12, etc that may boost his system a little and make him feel better, more energized. Sometimes B12 is a deficiency, and can help energize. A lot of people on the boards use CC to nurse their beardie back to health, or maintain for short periods of hunger-strikes. It would replace the babyfood you're feeding now.

Do you have a mercury-vapor UVB? Or is it the strip type lite? I am wondering if the UVB levels have dropped, and he's not getting the D3 synthesis that is so important to them? Have you tried to take him outside to get a boost of sunlight? Maybe a test to see if that will perk him up? We usually hold ours on our chest, and pet them to keep them calm, and they perk up wonderfully with the real sun. No substitute for the real thing :mrgreen: it might be worth a quick try?

cetara04

Original Poster
He has a reptisun tube...I think its the 8.0. I'm on my way now to get the reptisun10.0 only thing is that I was thinking about is that the light sits on the mesh/caged lid and it could be blocking some of the uvb light. I am also going to purchase a uvb meter. Ill take him outside today since its around 75 degrees see if he perks up. Any suggestions on how I could maybe cut the lid of the cage some so it won't be blocking the light?

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Not sure how to cut a hole in the screen, we use the MVB's (mercury vapor bulbs) because they give off heat too, and we live in the northeast, so it gets cold here. If its a year old, that may be part of his not wanting to do anything -- I think the strip lights / tubes are good for about 6 months, MVBs around a year. I hope the sun perks him up! Not sure if you've got birds in your area (large ones), just be careful and keep him with you!

cetara04

Original Poster
I have a custom made tank for my other beardie that I have an mvb in, they are nice. I just bought a reptisun 10.0 and replaced his old uvb light and I took him outside I think he enjoyed it very much. It definitely perked him up a little. Ill be taking him outside this weekend since it will b nice out. He still doesn't seem interested in his food. Thanks for all the suggestions. Now to find out tomorrow what the vet thinks I should do about his eye. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely a new UVB light would help his energy levels out quite a bit. As for cutting a hole in the screen, you can either do that, directly underneath the tube, or if you can, mount it underneath of the screen & secure it with wires. How far would the light be from the basking spot where he is?
The critical care can be purchased either from the vet or online. It is very good & nutritious so if he is deficient in anything, it would definitely help him out for a little while.
Let us know how things go at the vets on saturday.

Tracie

cetara04

Original Poster
Just got back from the vets a few hours ago. First off, he lost 11grams from his last visit (6-7 weeks ago) he now weighs 340 grams. The UVB definitely gave him a boost of energy. The Vet said to try and force feed him his crickets/supers. I told him I wanted a biopsy and he said he would do it, but wanted to wait a few more weeks since its still healing from last surgery. He said last time he removed a piece of bone and replaced it with something (i forgot what he called it) and the growth is definitely back. So I guess in a few weeks I will be making another appt. for his surgery.

As far as his UVB light, if I cut a hole through the lid he is about a foot away from it on his rocks and I put a hammock near the UVB light so he can get about 8inches from it. I wanted to try to get a new clamp type holder to put the light in instead of the hood so I can easily mount it on the glass cage. (waiting from a reply from the seller if they can ship it to the US from the UK). If I mount it on the bottom of the lid it would probably be around 6-8 inches from his basking spot, i just don't know how I am going to do it since the hood doesn't have any type of holes or areas to put any tie straps or wires through.

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I will be praying the next surgery will be his last and we can finally figure out what this is.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
All the bulbs are different, but if I remember right, the strip lights don't put off heat like the MVB, so they can get a lot closer to the strips?

That is so great that the sunlight gave him a little energy boost! I hope things start looking up from here, I will keep you in my thoughts!

cetara04

Original Poster
My beardie got surgery and a biopsy on October 29th. I just received a call from the vets and he has myxosarcoma. It is aggressively growing and could possibly be in his brain. There is no cure. He said they could keep removing it, but it will only be a temporary fix. He said that I have some time for now with him before I decide to put him down :cry: I am very upset.

Thanks for all the help and advice. Just thought I would let you guys know the outcome.

discojan

Juvie Member
Oh my goodness, those pictures broke my heart. I hope your little one gets some relief. Hang in there ,and healing vibes to both you and your critter.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
oh, that's just awful news, not what I was hoping for. I would spend every moment you can with him and love him and then love him some more. I am so sorry, that phone call had to be devastating. We are here for you if you need us, its been two weeks since we lost our precious Xena, and it still hurts.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry. I know how you hurt. We lost two beardies more than 4 years ago and one more than 2 years ago and we still miss them, a lot. I am thankful we had them for as long as we did and we have wonderful memories of them.

cetara04

Original Poster
I have had him for 5 years. He is now 7years old. I almost burst into tears when the vet told me. I had to take off work today cuz I was too distracted of just the thought that in a few months I will have to consider putting him down. It is definitely going to be hard. They are like my kids. :cry: I still pray that a miracle will happen and hope that the vet removed everything. He seems more alert since I changed his UVB light which is the only good news out of this experience.

Blondie and beardie parents, I am very sorry for your loss... I have been through it once before. My first beardie died 6yrs ago from impaction from using the wrong substrate for his habitat. I still miss him a lot :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry to hear that he has mycosarcoma. Maybe they got it all this time, or you can hope.
Nothing ever prepares you for having to make a decision like that. He is your family & that is devastating news. I wish that there was something more we could do for you.
Please keep us posted on him. At least the light has seemed to help him out.

Tracie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I completely understand. Part of the reason we lost the first two we had was because we didn't know anything about beardies. They knew they were loved and that was important to us. I'm sure your beardie is the same way. All our girls are like children to us. We even refer to them as our girls. One nice lady at our church laughs because of us referring to Rosie and Goldie as 'our girls'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom