do i give probiotics whilst on medication for coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

111lp

Hi There, do i give my beardie probiotics whilst he is on medication for coccidia (meds Septrin) and also (flagyl). My vet didn't recommend doing this cause i maybe feeding the parasites whilst i'm trying to kill them off.

Thanks for reading my topic and hopefully we will get some help in trying to get my little guy back on track. :(

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Well both medications can be very harsh on their natural bacteria, which you wan to grow up again. I wouldn't give probiotic (I really dont believe in it - im a microbiologist) but a soy yoghurt't (no dairy at all) will help settle the pH of the gut and allow normal bacteria to regrow.

111lp

Original Poster
Hi Buggsy and thanks for the quick reply, is the ok alpro soya? and shall i give this to him whilst on the meds? Also How much would you recommend? He's an adult weighing at about 530g 18 inch long.

Thanks Again

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
That sounds good, just no dairy as they cant digest it!

Not sure about quantities, try 0.5ml a day with a needleless syringe.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Check your messages, I inquired about the doses of the 2 medications & the concentrations or strengths of them. They are harsh on his system.
The soya yogurt is fine. That is a probiotic & while some vets don't recommend them, a lot of vets do. I have personally seen much better effects using probiotics than without. Those medications that are particularly harsh on their system can contribute to increased bad bacteria killing off the good bacteria which can encourage yeast & fungal infections.
The soya yogurt is dairy free, so you can use any flavor that you want. It has live bacteria in it which is the same thing as a probiotic only in a yogurt.
As suggested, you can give .5ml daily, that should be adequate for your sized dragon. I would give during the entire medication round as well as up to 1-2 week post medication. However, let's review your doses of the Septrin & Flagyl first, because given together that can be dangerous.
Be sure to give extra oral fluids as well, during the medication round.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stormfly
Top Bottom