Superworms Vs Butterworms

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
How come super worms are considered a staple and butter worms are not.?
What is the nutritional comparison

Thanks.

Beardie name(s)
Copper (Male Leatherback) and Callie (Female HypoTrans Leatherback)
As stated previously, superworms and butterworms are to be treated as “treats”. An excellent staple protein source would be dubia roaches. Crickets are an industry leader, but dubias are so much better than crickets due to the lack of chitin and the higher amount of protein.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I agree, and there are also other benefits of dubias over crickets:
- can more easily be confined in a bowl for feeding
- won't gnaw on the dragon if escaping into the tank
- don't carry so much parasites
- not smelly, not noisy

I feed my dragon mostly dubias (sparingly superworms and mealworms) and it even happens sometimes that when I offer a superworm he doesn't want it and prefers a dubia.
(Crickets I have never tried and I will not do so; butterworms, BSFL, silkworms and other feeder insects frequently mentioned are not available here.)

Regarding chitin: It is true that they have less than crickets (and that it is a benefit that they have less), but they have some like every insect does, so not totally lack it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thats the beauty of the internet.

Superworms have been a staple insect for my dragons for over 20 years. And I know dozens of breeders and dozens more hobbyists who have used superworms as staple feeders. I'd argue we see way less health issues with superworms than we do with dubias.

Don't confuse opinions with facts.

-Brandon

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@Claudiusx

I had used only mealworms and superworms for some months as I had no access to dubias. (Was fine with doing so, dragon is healthy, not overweight).

I use them more sparingly now (adult dragon, easily eats veggies, does not tend to overeat (can leave him alone with a multiple-day supply of insects and when I come back there are still some), often even refuses superworms when offered both them and dubias - preferred superworms when younger) but not as rare as a "treat" would be.
(For me, I would define a "treat" as something super rarely fed and even considered as "too high in calories, but I can live it with my pet eating it to get the medicine down", "once in a while as a surprise" and thus should not be a major contributor to the average calorie intake. Like: cat and a can of tuna. Or: human and ice cream.)

Regarding "facts" (as they are very important to me): Are there any reliable studies regarding what wild bearded dragons eat? (I know this can also be misleading as likely on average they would have to be more active.) Nutrition value of different feeders vs. what bearded dragons need?
Observations like yours give us valuable hints as "anecdotes" (what they are, scientifically: a small number of cases), but if there's more, e.g. research, that would be interesting.
Regarding nutritional value I found for the superworm: 46.80% proteins, 43.64% lipids, 8.17% ashes, 1.39% carbohydrates (source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889157518312195?via=ihub, maybe not accessible to everybody, I accessed it out of a university's network)

Last edited:

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
My beardie doesn't like the refrigerated bugs.
He would probably turn up mealworms

He's also turned up waxworms. I gave him 3-5.
He likes super worms.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
My beardie doesn't like the refrigerated bugs.
I guess with "refrigerated" you mean freeze-dried or soft but also dead insects?
I only feed live insects. (And I guess my dragon won't eat the dead ones, as he just isn't eating insects that aren't moving much even if they are alive. If one doesn't wiggle or run much, he's eating another one.)

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I guess with "refrigerated" you mean freeze-dried or soft but also dead insects?
I only feed live insects. (And I guess my dragon won't eat the dead ones, as he just isn't eating insects that aren't moving much even if they are alive. If one doesn't wiggle or run much, he's eating another one.)
wax worms and butter worms are refrigerated.
I believe you refrigerate mealworms too.

"The cooler temperatures will delay the process of metamorphosis, which stops them from continuing their life cycle and turning into beetles. Therefore, store your container of mealworms in your refrigerator (at 45-50 degrees F), this will cause them to go into a dormant state and be usable for feeding for 6-10 weeks."

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
wax worms and butter worms are refrigerated.
I believe you refrigerate mealworms too.
I'm not refrigerating them.
I know it is possible to do so to keep them longer, and I see no problem in doing so - I'm just not doing that.
(I often get very small ones and I fatten them up, i.e. let them grow bigger. I start with feeding my dragon the few largest ones, and the other ones grow large over time. Ordering them in larger amounts won't save me money - I can order them here in boxes of 200 mealworms which is cheaper than 100, but above they don't give a discount neither on worms nor shipping.)

Do you think your dragon is not eating them because they are refrigerated, or it's just a coincidence that your dragon does not like these species?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I'm not refrigerating them.
I know it is possible to do so to keep them longer, and I see no problem in doing so - I'm just not doing that.
(I often get very small ones and I fatten them up, i.e. let them grow bigger. I start with feeding my dragon the few largest ones, and the other ones grow large over time. Ordering them in larger amounts won't save me money - I can order them here in boxes of 200 mealworms which is cheaper than 100, but above they don't give a discount neither on worms nor shipping.)

Do you think your dragon is not eating them because they are refrigerated, or it's just a coincidence that your dragon does not like these species?
I think it's because they are refrigerated.
I offered both butterworms and waxworms.

I can't grow the waxworms/butterworms.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joncelona
Top Bottom