My bearded dragon seems to be afraid of light?

Welchy2000

My bearded dragon turned 5 yesterday. He had always been very happy and mobile and confident. I noticed he wasn't moving around much yesterday and thought nothing off it. Took him out this morning and he was calm for a moment before freaking out alittle. He tries to hide underneath or anywhere tight without light. He hid in a place he never goes into which is weird. Google said to bath scared dragons but he is calm. Then as soon as I pull the shower curtain and starts to freak out trying to get out. I tested it a few times and it seems to be the light. I can pet him, move around the water, and even handle him. But then he goes off again. Please tell me if I'm over reacting or if this is a sign of anything

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon turned 5 yesterday. He had always been very happy and mobile and confident. I noticed he wasn't moving around much yesterday and thought nothing off it. Took him out this morning and he was calm for a moment before freaking out alittle. He tries to hide underneath or anywhere tight without light. He hid in a place he never goes into which is weird. Google said to bath scared dragons but he is calm. Then as soon as I pull the shower curtain and starts to freak out trying to get out. I tested it a few times and it seems to be the light. I can pet him, move around the water, and even handle him. But then he goes off again. Please tell me if I'm over reacting or if this is a sign of anything
The shower curtain sounds like the issue --- what kind of basking light are you using? NO yellowish bulbs NO off white or Daytime bulbs please - you want a clear solid bright white bulb -- what kind of UVB coil or long tube fixture and how old is it?

Welchy2000

Original Poster
I have one long uvb light, I can't remember what brand it is but we spend 90 or do dollars on it. He also has a 120 heat bulb and standard uv bulb. Those two are just in the the fixtures that came with the tank. Non of the fixtures or lights are more then a year and a half old. It's all white light except for the heat bulb that is alittle more yellow.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have one long uvb light, I can't remember what brand it is but we spend 90 or do dollars on it. He also has a 120 heat bulb and standard uv bulb. Those two are just in the the fixtures that came with the tank. Non of the fixtures or lights are more then a year and a half old. It's all white light except for the heat bulb that is alittle more yellow.
Please no yellowish bulbs- solid clear bright white - if the uvb is over 10-11 months old it's expired- unless your getting readings from a solar meter reading 4-6 range your good- no solar cards they are inaccurate-- where is the uvb inside the tank or top of screen -- please look on the bulb it will give name and bulb T 5 or T 8

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have a picture of your tank setup for him, so we can see
the lights, distance of the lights to him & the set up in the entire
environment? That would greatly help out. If you look at one of
the ends of the tube bulb, most of the time the brand is stamped
onto the bulb. Since you spent so much, it may be the Reptisun
or the Arcadia, but let us know. Either one is very good.

Tracie

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Bathing a scared dragon sounds strange to me. Both my dragons will freak out more if I put water on them.

The more yellowish bulb you mentioned is probably just a warm white, I assume. Most basking bulbs are around 5000k, uvbs are more towards 7000k (more blue).

A picture could be helpful. How long is he doing this? Just briefly or more frequent? Any chance he might want to brumate?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom