Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Diane, sleeping at the hospital helped, too. Tomorrow and Monday will be lazy days and I'll see Tues am how I feel, hopefully all better by then.

And no, Didi isn't wanting to eat, so I'm giving him carnivore care & babyfood and he's eating some of that. I'm going to feed him supers tomorrow, though, see how that goes. It's always iffy if he'll eat or not, but he is feeling a bit better and is getting around his tank now, so that's good. He wants a bath really badly, so I think I'll give him lots of water & his supplements first, then when I'm ready to give him his meds he can have a Betadine bath, at least that might benefit him. I'll see.

Rocco is chirping at me that it's cricket time, so best go feed them, then bedtime for me. At least I can sleep in tomorrow.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thank goodness all you have is a virus and nothing more. Hope the 2 days of rest will help your body rid of it and that you'll feel better.

Didi's eye looks so much better! I'm sure he's feeling better too, despite still not wanting to eat.

Puff is so cute. She must've spent some time digging her little newspaper nest to hide in.

I feel so bad for Lonzo. No fun getting old, not even for a beardie :(

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I worry about Lonzo, too. So he's going to the vet on Saturday, too, but I'm going to see if I can take them in on Monday instead of Saturday. I'm feeling better today, but not leaving the house, still a bit dizzy, so will see how I feel in the morning.

So you think Didi's eye is better, he can open it almost fully like his right eye, so I'm very pleased about that. I'm looking at him now and he looks even better today. He hates the cream I put on over the Betadine, but seems to be doing him good. He hasn't had a bath for a month, so I think I'll let him have a bath today but I'll make sure he gets lots of water first, then put some Betadine in the bath, let him do his playing, that might make him feel better. Once he's dry, then he'll get his meds & cream again. I'm so hopeful I can get him into remission. It hasn't travelled at all, so I'm wondering if it's a regular fungus and not YF. So I'll see as time goes on.

And Puff is a nutter when it comes to that newspaper, at least when she poops she poops on top of it so I can find it :lol: She's also gaining weight again, so I have a feeling there are going to be more eggs in a few weeks. She's not gaining weight from eating, that's for sure. She's going to get fed again today but I'm going to pass on Gabriel, he's getting fat! Looks good, though, have to say :mrgreen:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Do you feel it's safe to give Didi a bath already? Can it wait until most of those spots have crusted off and he's clean?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I think you're right Gina, I give him tons of water, he drinks 15cc or more every morning, plus Serrepeptase, Acidophilus, Electrolytes and a few drops of echinacea. So he's very well hydrated, so I'll wait. He's dropped off alot of the crusty stuff that was around his eye. I'll just let him play in the sink without water, as he likes to do that, then stare at the faucet, then me, then the faucet, then me, as he loves to be in the water and will stay in there for an hour if I'd let him. So I'll wait.

I met a lady on one of the rescue forums I belong to, and this is how she healed the yellow fungus one of her rescues had:

"I use badadine two times a day in a bath and I would rub it on the yellow spots with a cotton swab, and let it dry for a few hours, then twice a day I would soak him in the badadine and water and dry him off really really well and put a lot of Lamisil on him like I caked it on you can also use anti fungal cream from the drug store or canestin I also used a fugus shampoo made for humans but suggested by my vet you can just ask the pharmacist for it tell them you need it to cure ring worm ( that's what I did) and after about 1-1.5 months all his scales came back and all the fungus was gone.... Now it may come back but for the last 3-4 months I haven't seen any yellow spots on him at all I still do badadine baths twice a week but when he did have the spots I bathed him in it daily and swabbed him with it and put the cream on him as many times as I could think of and I used the shampoo.... I went all out, it was t expensive either maybe $30 total and I still have loads left for if he has another outbreak of it .... Inbox me any time if you need help"

I thought this was very strange, as she gave her dragon so many betadine baths, but it worked and he's still lesion free. So that's why I thought a bath for Didi wouldn't do him any harm if it was a Betadine bath. But I'll hold off until I see the vet this week.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Oh my gosh Deb. Look at Puff! She is the cutest thing sitting there like she knows she's cute :)

So glad to see and hear that Didi's eye is getting better. I am wishing you good luck of that doctors visit on saturday. Hopefully its all good things.

Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Although I am happy to hear that you are back to work full time now and are not always out of breath like you used to be so something must be working. It's funny that you said that you always seem to feel better after you get a flu shout. I have personally never gotten one but I know people who always get the flu after they get the shot. It always makes me skeptical and I debate every year whether I want to get it or not.

I am definitely jealous of how much you get accomplished in a day lol. I always aim for things like that but only ever end up getting like half done! So BRAVO ma'lady!

Definitely look forward to updates on how you and everyone are doing in the coming days. Prayers are heading your way!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much for looking in on my crew. I'm feeling a bit better, tired and a bit dizzy so staying home. I did all that yesterday am because I wasn't sure how long I'd be at the hospital, but that's my normal chores when I'm home. I try to get alot of it done bit by bit during the week before work, but my main chores during the week are all dragon chores, feeding them, etc. They get 1 1/2 hours of my time before I leave for work at 10:30a so get up at 8a and start right away. Only way to make sure everything gets done. Living alone makes it easy to do all this, no-one else that I have to deal with :lol:

Thanks for the good wishes for Didi, I'm so hoping all that I'm doing for him works and he heals up. It's good to see that he's improving, he wants to sleep in the worst way but I can't turn his lights off.

Leo is brumating, but I need to get him in the bath today to make sure his last poop comes out, then he can warm up & go to sleep again. This time I'll leave him along for at least a week before giving him another bath. Gabriel is sleeping, too, but I'm not sure if he's brumating.

Puff is still working on stripping the newspaper in her tank, not sure if this means more eggs are coming or not, but she's rounding out, so I have a feeling...more calcium for her for sure today.

And yes, Puff knows she's cute. She still flares out her beard at me once in awhile!

I'm feeling better today but I'm being careful and not doing much. Have lots of books to read and some TV shows I taped to watch and will be having a nap this afternoon, too. So I think this virus is going away. And I've never had a problem with the flu shot, I've been getting it every winter for 8 years now, but everyone has a different reaction. You don't need a shot if you don't get very sick over the winter, I do get really sick with flues, so I get that shot every year. Up here I can get it at my pharmacy and it's free, so I'll give this virus 2 weeks before I look into my next one.

So how are you and your crew?

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
The treatment that the other lady was using for her beardie's YF is fine for Didi, but I'm just concerned about his head getting wet. If he isn't a normal head dunker, then it'll probably be ok to bathe him in the Betadine solution.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
That's what I did today, but I put in just water first, as I wanted to get all the layers of the silver cream off his back to see what's going on. There's no sign of fungus anywhere but under his eye now. I had given him lots of water b4 he went into the bath, so he didn't try to drink, he likes to dunk his head, so I let him do that in the regular water, then I soaked him in a Betadine bath and he didn't dunk his head once. He seems to know the difference. Now he's drying out so I can check him more throughly in a couple of hours and he'll get his oral med plus the cream again. I don't think I have to smear it on down to his tail now, I can just put it across the back where the wart had tendrils, around his neck, on his head and around his eye. His eye looks much better now around it looks better, too. It's great to see!

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
So glad to hear DiDi is getting better. You certainly have your hands full with you being ill and all your babies. How you manage to get so much done is beyond me!!!

Hugs to both you and your babies.

-Julie

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Julie, thanks for checking in. Didi is doing very well, he'll be at the vet this week for a checkup. Right now he's snoozing in his tank, getting dry from his bath (which is the first one he's had in over a month) but he'll be getting his oral med in about an hour & the cream's being put back on again. He had a normal poop in the bath, too, first normal one in a month. Tomorrow he gets real food, like it or not!

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
That's great news!!! Poor guy has been thru a lot he deserves a nice warm bath. :D good to know he is going to vet for checkup. I'm sure the vet will be pleased with his progress!!!

getgab92

Juvie Member
I wish I had a good vet like you do Deb. I don't like that way mine treats my dragons. He handles them pretty rough and Riley is always having to swing his tail around because he feels unsafe. And that whole rant he went on with that vitamin A stuff. He is the head doctor at that hospital but there is a younger guy that is so much nicer. I felt with him when Parker was dying. Maybe I will try to get him every time. I have to find out his name. But you are lucky that you have someone you trust to give you honest info all the time. It's not too common in todays world.

Keep us posted!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I will, he really enjoyed the bath & I was glad to get the cream off to see what was going on, no other areas but around his eye now. He wasn't very pleased to see me rubbing that cream in again, I'm hoping another week will make a big difference with the cream and meds. And I am lucky about my vet, she's the only exotic vet that's 20 min drive away, the other one is an hour away. She likes my dragons and has taken care of them all for 8 years now. I think she's learned as much as I have with them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you felt a little better today Deb. Bet Didi enjoyed his bath. So happy to hear that his eye and area around it is looking so much better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joncelona
Top Bottom