New to bearded dragons. NEED HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeRC

So I got my baby beardie 2 days ago. The day I got her she ate 8 crickets and didn't touch any veggies. I offered veggies to her yesterday and she ate some shredded mustard greens out of feeding tongs, and she ate 23 crickets. Now today I look and she has rings on her stomach and she hasn't touched anything I've offered to her. Also she hasn't moved much from her basking spot.

The crickets I've been feeding her are smaller than the space between her eyes. I'm using a digital probe thermometer. Her basking spots been 100-110 and the CHE I have on at night keeps the tank about 75-85. She's in a 75 gallon tank which I split today with some cardboard. I have a branch in the tank for her to get a little closer to the light if needed that she hasn't been on. She hasn't gone to the bathroom since yesterday morning which I'm not sure is okay or not..? Substrate is tile.

I've tried getting close to her, shell let me get my hand about an inch from her but takes off and gapes when I try coming any closer. The only time she's let me hold her so far was to put her in the tank and even than she was trying to get away.. Overall she seams lazy, she lays in her basking spot almost constantly.. I've had other pets but I'm new to bearded dragons and her behavior is making me nervous and I don't know if it should be.. Any help or tips on how to make her more comfortable or why she may not be eating would be greatly appreciated.

Bummblebee

Hatchling Member
I am by far not the persone to b giving advice because I am also new to my three dragons but I will say this when I got all three of mine They had the stress marks on there belly I admit I kept messing around in the tank to get it the way I wanted it which I think did more harm than good I was stressing them out more I decided to leave them alone and let them get used to there home and kept out of the tank all together.

Once I seen them exploring and feeling comfortable in there environment then I would hand feed with success Maybe they need time to get used to things on there own mine came around I hope yours do the same.

Also a warm bath helps with there bowel movements Now my Luna hasnt pooped daily but she also is my not so good eater but I found the problem she was not getting warm enough I moved the heat closer and shes eating like theres no tomorrow

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Dont worry, this seems like normal behaviour for a new beardie. They take a while to settle in to their new environment (can take up to 2 weeks). Once she's settled in you should see an increase in her appetite. Beardies do spend a lot of time basking, its their naturl behaviour and its good that she is basking. Sometimes beardies go a day without pooping on occasions, just keep an eye on her bowel movements. Like Bummblebee said, a warm bath can help and massaging her belly gently. However, id let her get more used to you before starting the baths. Just keep handfeeding her treats so she gets used to your hand and begins to trust you. Don't move your hand away when she gapes, just be consistant. when you begin to handle her properly, do it little and often until she is completely used to you. She will eventually come around- i had that worry with my beardie and now im at the stage where she loves coming out and cuddling into me. :D

MikeRC

Original Poster
Update:
So after eating nothing at all thursday she ate 8 crickets yesterday. I still have not seen her go to the bathroom since my last post which seams odd. She still dosnt trust me enough to pick her up so I'm not sure if I should attempt giving a bath. Is there anything I can feed her to make her stomach relax or something? Thanks for all the help so far hopefully I'm doing everything right..

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Just checking...Is there a UVB bulb in there? It was not mentioned that I could see so want to check b/c everything else seems good.

If not, you need one. The best so far (via the board opinion) is the ReptiSUN 10.0. For that size tank likely a 3' one.

Sorry if this has been answered in a different post :)

MikeRC

Original Poster
Yea I have a reptisun 10.0 in a 36" light fixture.
She ate 11 crickets her first feeding of the day. I haven't tried giving her any more yet. As I posting this reply I notice she is laying on her branch but keeps rubbing the size of her head against it.I also notIce shell move her tail around afterwards.. Does this mean anything or is she just crazy?

EDIT: just relized she began shedding a little bit which probly the reason for her rubbing her self on the branch. :)

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
shedding causes loss in appetite- once she's finished shedding she should start to eat more. You can give beardies a few drops of olive oil to help them poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Addi
Top Bottom