Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! We just got our first bearded dragon, a 7 week old baby. After TONS of research this is what we ended up with for our tank set up (20 gal until he's bigger, then a 55 gal long). Any suggestions would be wonderful! We just want little Nalak to have a home that makes him happiest! Thank you, Nalak and Amelia :)

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Hello, and welcome to the message board!

Think about getting a tank that is at least 18-20" wide. A breeder tank is a minimum size for a beardie.

Here is a list of common things people ask about here...

-Lighting: Reptisun 10.0 or Acadia 12% linear tube lights are the safest choice. Or a good Mercury vapor bulb. Coil and compact UVB bulbs are known to cause health problems for bearded dragons. Same goes with other brands of linear tubes.
-No night lights, use a ceramic heater instead. If you can afford it, a light timer and a thermostat take alot of worry out of lighting. If temps don't drop below 70 in your house, no night heat is needed.
-Lots of room to roam around. 40 gal breeder tank minimum for an adult. Beardies grow super FAST! 1-2" per month in some cases!
-Feed 2-3 times a day. At 2-3 months old they should be eating 10-30 crickets per feeding. 30-90 a day! (THIS IS FOR YOUNG DRAGONS, Older dragons eat less protein and more veg.) feeders should be appropriately sized. Nothing bigger than the space between their eyes.
-Dust crickets with calcium (5 feedings per week) and/or multivitamin (2 feedings per week). Phoenix worms are worth a try. High in calcium (no dusting)! Dubia roaches too! Also look in to hornworms and silkworms. Great for adult beardies.
-Good greens: collard, mustard, dandelion. Squash is great too! Offer greens daily, even if they don't eat them, they need to learn. I have to mix in some arugula or cilantro to get ours to get the greens.
-75-80 degrees on the cool side of the viv. A larger enclosure will provide your beardie a much better temperature gradient, from cool side to hot side. They can pick where they are comfortable that way.
-Basking surface temp of 102-105 should be good.
-Bath water up to about her shoulders, and warm, about 90-100 degrees. Beardies seem to like to poo in water, and should be pooping once a day.

Feel free to post more questions!

ameliamelia

Original Poster
Oh my god. Silly me, the image didn't link. :roll: This is his twenty gallon right now (The meal worms were just until our phoenix worms came in). We have a reptisun 10.0 and a heat lamp on a dimmer. His basking spot stays around 100, although he has recently been sitting in his water bowl so we dimmed it a bit and he's happier. I guess I'm mostly looking for any creative/fun ideas I could do to spruce up the tank and make it more fun for him!
Thanks!
Amelia and Nalak

SQV5Vi3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Addi
Top Bottom