Red poop

Swan

Whoah. Red/orange poop from Rocko.
He has been eating this 6-7 dusted crickets after his salad has been given. Salad has been consisting of some cut romain lettuce, cut up sweet peas, cucumber, and some smaller slices of carrots, occasionally fresh lemon balm.
He really likes the carrots and peas will sometimes eat the lettuce, mainly from hand. I have been lessoning the carrots in amount but still giving him some most days. Everything else is pretty consistent, with the occasional green bean or zucchini.

I have seen bits of carrot in his poop before but nothing like this. The deep orange color is pretty alarming... As it is almost red as blood. It was a watery poop too, most of his poops have been somewhat watery since I have cut back on his cricket intake (from 10).
Is he alright???
1000019680.jpg
1000019679.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Noticing his vent is red tinged too...
I'm kinda freaking out.
View attachment 88297
Please change the diet to mostly greens - no more carrots or peas or cucumber -- the carrots will turn urate orange -and the cucumber will give real watery stools-- posting a nutrition website for you ignore the kale info its outdated and a great staple feeder Nutrition Content
also his femoral pores are plugged please get some coconut oil on them to soften them up and when good and soft take a soft baby toothbrush and brush them to loosen the wax build up

Swan

Original Poster
Thank you. I have been working on his formal pores for a couple of weeks. I'll keep up with the baths and coconut oil and brushing.
I will remove the carrots and cucumber.
So Kale is good but spinach is not, is that correct?
Thanks for the link.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. I have been working on his formal pores for a couple of weeks. I'll keep up with the baths and coconut oil and brushing.
I will remove the carrots and cucumber.
So Kale is good but spinach is not, is that correct?
Thanks for the link.
Yes kale is real good spinach is a calcium binder so you feed it feed sparingly - there are other options for greens - look the website list over I posted for you -

Swan

Original Poster
Just checked it out. Thank you. very helpful.
It says in there that butternut squash is alright. Since it is orange... Should i hold off on that? Oris it alright to give.
I am out of salad and anything else to give him right now. But I do have that.
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just checked it out. Thank you. very helpful.
It says in there that butternut squash is alright. Since it is orange... Should i hold off on that? Oris it alright to give.
I am out of salad and anything else to give him right now. But I do have that.
Thanks
If you can hold off for a few days giving the butternut it would be best - you want to get the liquid if there is any more watery looking no color --- the white in the poop is good but all that orange liquid I am thinking its the carrots mixed w/ the cucumber -- lets see what the poop / urate / liquid does w/ no more of the carrots cukes etc -- I would get to the store and get some of the greens I posted --- your gonna haft to see what he likes so its going to be trial and error -

Swan

Original Poster
If you can hold off for a few days giving the butternut it would be best - you want to get the liquid if there is any more watery looking no color --- the white in the poop is good but all that orange liquid I am thinking its the carrots mixed w/ the cucumber -- lets see what the poop / urate / liquid does w/ no more of the carrots cukes etc -- I would get to the store and get some of the greens I posted --- your gonna haft to see what he likes so its going to be trial and error -
Thanks I'll make a store run.
I do have home canned beans and frozen kale I thawed and gave him. He ate some of the kale. We will see how he does with the rest for now.
In the past he has mostly left the leafy greens alone and gone toward other food items. Except the lemon balm. He really likes that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The canned beans wont be good but the frozen kale will be ok short term but fresh produce is much better. The freezing can destroy thiamin which will contribute to a
deficiency in them eventually.
The butternut squash is fine, but as Karrie suggested,
give his system a few days or so to flush out the carrots
so that you can determine any other issues.
I believe that the color of the stool is related to the
carrots! This happens fairly often with them.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom