Red thing coming out of superworm??

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
IMG_5497.jpeg
It was hard to get a good picture because this one was quite the squirmer 😅 Does anyone know what it is? I don’t exactly know if it’s coming OUT of it or if it’s just stuck on its legs but no matter what I did, it wouldn’t come off. I isolated it just in case, thoughts??

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
View attachment 89461 It was hard to get a good picture because this one was quite the squirmer 😅 Does anyone know what it is? I don’t exactly know if it’s coming OUT of it or if it’s just stuck on its legs but no matter what I did, it wouldn’t come off. I isolated it just in case, thoughts??
Never seen anything like that before.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I do not know exactly of superworms, but for other insects something like this is parasites. E.g. many species of mantis, grasshoppers and beetles can have internal parasites looking like this, leaving the body to be re-ingested by a bird or reptile where they mature and their eggs are leaving the host with its poo.

Just to be sure, as photos always can be misleading: This is not some superworm shed, but it is actually coming out of the superworm?

If it is in fact coming out of the superworm, I would strongly suspect a parasite and as much as I hate it to kill an insect without feeding it, I would kill the superworm and not feed it to my dragon. Generally, I don't feed my dragon any insects that look unhealthy.

Last edited:

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do not know exactly of superworms, but for other insects something like this is parasites. E.g. many species of mantis, grasshoppers and beetles can have internal parasites looking like this, leaving the body to be re-ingested by a bird or reptile where they mature and their eggs are leaving the host with its poo.

Just to be sure, as photos always can be misleading: This is not some superworm shed, but it is actually coming out of the superworm?

If it is in fact coming out of the superworm, I would strongly suspect a parasite and as much as I hate it to kill an insect without feeding it, I would kill the superworm and not feed it to my dragon. Generally, I don't feed my dragon any insects that look unhealthy.
Okay, I will check later today again to see if it’s still attached and will look closer to make sure it is in fact coming out of the worm. I’ll keep y’all updated, thanks!

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster

Update: Looked again today and it was completely gone. Tried to look for it in the bedding but didn’t find it. Probably was just something grabbed by its back legs. You reckon it’s safe to feed?

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I don't know what you use as bedding (for the superworms) and what you feed them. If it's looking totally different than any of that, I would not feed this superworm to my dragon but rather kill it. (I dislike very much killing insects in general (food for beardie or other animal is okay, otherwise I don't like doing so), but here I would make an exception.)

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
View attachment 89461 It was hard to get a good picture because this one was quite the squirmer 😅 Does anyone know what it is? I don’t exactly know if it’s coming OUT of it or if it’s just stuck on its legs but no matter what I did, it wouldn’t come off. I isolated it just in case, thoughts??
Found ANOTHER ONE today!! Part of it fell off and part of it is still attached.

Okay as I was writing this I was examining the superworm again and it curled up, grabbed the remaining stringy thing on its behind, and pulled it off— I’m so confused 😭

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6598.jpeg
    IMG_6598.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 18

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacob Ren
Top Bottom