Reptaid or XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visionist

Hatchling Member
My beardie is currently underweight at 16" 189g. I expect him to put on weight once I get his superworms next week. I want to get him reptaid as I suspect he may have slight amount of coccidia which has increased a bit due to moving stress(slightly watery poop). The vets around here are not very experienced with reptiles so I would prefer to try something like reptaid first and then get a fecal done as I don't want to put him on meds if he only has a minor amount. The problem is that I know he should weigh more than 250g, but since his last owner did not feed him very much he does not weigh enough for the Reptaid XL. I'm afraid if I get the standard reptaid he will have outgrown it by the time it gets here in the mail. Can I get the XL and just water it down if he does not weigh enough?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No, get the reptaid normal. The only difference with the XL is its a bigger bottle.

And with the normal reptaid, you won't even use the whole thing, so the XL will be a waste.

That being said, I am curious as to why you are using reptaid to get rid of parasites instead of having a fecal done. Even a normal vet knows how to do a fecal, and you always have the great mods on this site who can recommend the medicine and the dosing if your vet doesn't know how.

I am not trying to sound like a hypocrite, because I am currently using reptaid too, but for different reasons. I think if the reason for using it is for parasites, you should get a fecal taken first, even if you plan to use the reptaid anyways.

And from what I have experienced with it, its not as easy on the system as its made out to be. The ingredients in it are very dehydrating, which has led to daily half hour baths just to keep a semi soft urate.

So anyways, is your dragon eating and still loosing weight, or is your dragon just not eating and loosing weight? How old is your dragon?
How is your husbandry? You definitely shouldn't use reptaid until your husbandry is perfect, if it isn't already.

Sorry for the long, unorganized post. Things came to me at different times and I didn't know how to organize it :p

-Brandon

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2d58pgfw said:
No, get the reptaid normal. The only difference with the XL is its a bigger bottle.

And with the normal reptaid, you won't even use the whole thing, so the XL will be a waste.

That being said, I am curious as to why you are using reptaid to get rid of parasites instead of having a fecal done. Even a normal vet knows how to do a fecal, and you always have the great mods on this site who can recommend the medicine and the dosing if your vet doesn't know how.

I am not trying to sound like a hypocrite, because I am currently using reptaid too, but for different reasons. I think if the reason for using it is for parasites, you should get a fecal taken first, even if you plan to use the reptaid anyways.

And from what I have experienced with it, its not as easy on the system as its made out to be. The ingredients in it are very dehydrating, which has led to daily half hour baths just to keep a semi soft urate.

So anyways, is your dragon eating and still loosing weight, or is your dragon just not eating and loosing weight? How old is your dragon?
How is your husbandry? You definitely shouldn't use reptaid until your husbandry is perfect, if it isn't already.

Sorry for the long, unorganized post. Things came to me at different times and I didn't know how to organize it :p

-Brandon

Well for the moment I don't want to get a fecal done just because I only got him the other day so moving stress can effect that(I'm also not sure on my local vets fee's, they do not list much of any info for exotics and I am assuming I will need to pay a new patient fee). My dragon is eating fine, he has mostly had veggies(Turnip greens) but also crickets(dusted with calcium+d3 and multivitamin) as I am waiting for his super's to arrive. He is 1 year old as far as I am aware. He is currently on newspaper as a substrate with basking temps at 103f. He currently is under a reptiglo 5.0 but that is only as I am waiting for his Reptisun 10.0 to arrive, they do not sell reptisun here. To fight this I have been taking him outside the past few days as they have been very sunny. I have been giving him a bath every other day as well to ensure he is hydrated.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I understand.

Since he is eating and still loosing weight, it is most likely parasites. I am not too sure how well reptaid works for getting rid of parasites, like I said, if thats why you are using it I wouldn't recommend it.

I've used it on my dragon who has lost weight because she has stopped eating. Which in turn got her weak and sickly. It has turned her around and she is back to eating, basking and gaining weight, but like I said, not too sure how it would work for knocking out parasites. I know the creator of it says it does, but I am a bit iffy on that.

Either way, I hope the best for your dragon, be sure to keep us updated on everything.

-Brandon

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":5eeqg137 said:
I understand.

Since he is eating and still loosing weight, it is most likely parasites. I am not too sure how well reptaid works for getting rid of parasites, like I said, if thats why you are using it I wouldn't recommend it.

I've used it on my dragon who has lost weight because she has stopped eating. Which in turn got her weak and sickly. It has turned her around and she is back to eating, basking and gaining weight, but like I said, not too sure how it would work for knocking out parasites. I know the creator of it says it does, but I am a bit iffy on that.

Either way, I hope the best for your dragon, be sure to keep us updated on everything.

-Brandon

I don't believe he has been losing weight though, I don't really want to judge that until he gets more fat/protein in his diet since mostly all he is eating is veggies right now so his weight isn't very stable. Once I get him on the superworms I will be able to see better if he is losing weight or not.

I've also emailed the vet to check for prices.
In addition I have read that reptaid works well for parasites.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just dont overfeed the superworms. I understand you want to put some weight on him, but adding weight should be done slowly over time, and not fast. IF you try to make him gain weight too fast, it can lead to fatty liver disease.

Which is why I wanted you to keep us updated on him, so we can make sure he is gaining weight at a healthy pace and not too fast.
I really do hope he gets better for you :D I totally understand what you are going through, I have been going through the same thing with my girl and it is horrible :(

-Brandon

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3u4liom6 said:
Just dont overfeed the superworms. I understand you want to put some weight on him, but adding weight should be done slowly over time, and not fast. IF you try to make him gain weight too fast, it can lead to fatty liver disease.

Which is why I wanted you to keep us updated on him, so we can make sure he is gaining weight at a healthy pace and not too fast.
I really do hope he gets better for you :D I totally understand what you are going through, I have been going through the same thing with my girl and it is horrible :(

-Brandon
Yeah I will try to keep him on about 5 supers a day as I have read that is a good amount.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup! That is what my girl is on.

You might also want to give some other less fatty feeder insects like dubia if you can, since your dragon is only a year did you say?

-Brandon

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":x2p5rpt0 said:
Yup! That is what my girl is on.

You might also want to give some other less fatty feeder insects like dubia if you can, since your dragon is only a year did you say?

-Brandon
He is a year, but dubais are illegal in Canada.

Tomorrow I will make him some scrambled eggs and mix it with his turnip greens because I am out of crickets, hopefully that will help his protein needs as like I said his weight has not been stable due to a lack of feeders(Pet store is currently out until tue's and my supers won't be here till weds or thurs).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you able to get any other feeders? Like silkworms, hornworms, butterworms.... etc?
Since he is a year, he should have a bit more protein than 5 superworms a day, but with the same token, he shouldn't have more than 5 superworms a day since they are pretty fatty.

-Brandon

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2aawfe4z said:
Are you able to get any other feeders? Like silkworms, hornworms, butterworms.... etc?
Since he is a year, he should have a bit more protein than 5 superworms a day, but with the same token, he shouldn't have more than 5 superworms a day since they are pretty fatty.

-Brandon
I can get butters and waxworms locally, but they are pretty pricey. The wax worms aren't so bad at 100 for 15$.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Even crickets would work if you can stand them lol.
Butters would be an excellent choice though.

-Brandon

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gave him some scrambled eggs today, he loved them.
29mr68z.jpg

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I heard back from one of the vets here, an exam for an exotic animal is 75$??
I am going to have to see if that is a fecal or a full exam because 75$ is a bit pricey.

If 75 is a basic exam and then you have to pay more for a fecal then I may as well get my own microscope.

Edit: They said fecal can run 24-40$ depending. I'm not sure if this can be done independently or if an exam of my beardie need to be done first.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Fecals don't need to be done with your dragon. You can just bring in the fecal sample and have them test it.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom