Rescued a beardie and I need help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going? How much food are you giving, daily of the baby foods? I would start with
1-2MLS of the baby food daily, mixed with the calcium. You shouldn't need to give D3 more than 1 or
2 times weekly. Do you have any plain calcium powder to give more regularly?

Tracie

JulesD

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gruncher
Hello,

How are things going? How much food are you giving, daily of the baby foods? I would start with
1-2MLS of the baby food daily, mixed with the calcium. You shouldn't need to give D3 more than 1 or
2 times weekly. Do you have any plain calcium powder to give more regularly?

Tracie

I don’t have the plain calcium but I can get some! Right now I’m shooting for 1 ml in morning and 1 ml around 8pm with about 2 1/2 hours of basking before lights out. Last night I only gave her about 1/2 ml because she looked like she was trying to poop and didn’t want to overwhelm her. Thank you for the guidance! I’m just doing pumpkin for now because she’s got more backed up poo to get out. I’ll try other types including chicken and turkey once she gets most of this out. 🙏🏻

Am I able to do any natural antimicrobials like monolaurin or grapefruit seed extract? Echinacea for immunity? Not sure what’s best for beardies. I have a son with autism who has a lot of gut and immunity issues and have become a big believer in the power of God-given antimicrobials. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, a plain calcium without any D3 would be good to have on hand. Sometimes D3 can build up in
their system too much.
How is the babyfood working out for her, does she seem to like it? Yes, you can definitely use the mono
laurin extract or grapefruit or grapeseed extract for immune boosting. I believe I have seen some use
the echinacea extract, too.
I hope she is able to get her system cleared out. You can also add a few drops of organic olive oil or
coconut oil in with the mix to help with impaction.

Tracie

JulesD

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gruncher
Hello,

Great, a plain calcium without any D3 would be good to have on hand. Sometimes D3 can build up in
their system too much.
How is the babyfood working out for her, does she seem to like it? Yes, you can definitely use the mono
laurin extract or grapefruit or grapeseed extract for immune boosting. I believe I have seen some use
the echinacea extract, too.
I hope she is able to get her system cleared out. You can also add a few drops of organic olive oil or
coconut oil in with the mix to help with impaction.

Tracie
Thank you! This is a long-winded response so I’ll highlight questions. :)

She is eating the baby food. I think she likes it. She’s still so sleepy so it’s hard to tell. Much more alert than a week ago but still sleepy. I tried a little butternut squash today and got the plain calcium that I’ll start sprinkling on daily.

Any dosage recommendations on the grapefruit and grape seed extracts? With grapefruit seed, I usually put a few drops in an ounce of water. Even one undiluted drop is so strong. I could put ten drops in an ounce of water but only give her a few drops of the diluted mixture if that works. But please advise if you have a better solution!

For the grape seed extract, would this be a good formula to try? Maybe just a drop of it?

I’m still learning so much from you all and from observing her. I might start feeding her just in the morning and moving her baths to later in the day. Her last bowel movement was 5 days ago and it came at night so maybe food with coconut or olive oil in the morning, a good long bask and then a bath later in the day might help move things. If I just do one feeding a day, would 2 ml be too much in one sitting?

She is moving better than she was a week ago but still not mobile enough to move between warm and cool sides, so I am doing my best to observe her and go off of the signs she gives me as far as adjusting her temperature. I’m letting her sleep at a cooler temperature ranging around 77-80 degrees, when I wake her up, I put the UVB light and basking light on and let her get some rays for a while before feeding her. I keep very careful track of the basking surface temps and keep them around 95-98. I take her out of her terrarium to eat. I was doing baths at this time but again I’m going to try them later in the day to see how that works. Today I tried holding her against my chest/shoulder and walking her around for a bit. After she eats, I let her bask for at least two hours then turn off the basking light for about two hours. The temperatures go down to about 86 during that time. I’ll go on and off with the basking light all day. I don’t know if this is right but she seems to like getting a break from it. She usually looks really good color wise in the morning and through the day but she’s been getting a little pale at the end of the day under the basking light. Again I’m keeping the basking temperature around 95-97. I’m still trying to get her hydrated so maybe that’s why. Or maybe she’s just ready to go to bed. Throughout the day under the basking light she looks good, it’s just that last one before lights out when she gets a little pale. Any guidance on what I’m doing and if it seems right or wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time and advice and help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you! This is a long-winded response so I’ll highlight questions. :)

She is eating the baby food. I think she likes it. She’s still so sleepy so it’s hard to tell. Much more alert than a week ago but still sleepy. I tried a little butternut squash today and got the plain calcium that I’ll start sprinkling on daily.

Any dosage recommendations on the grapefruit and grape seed extracts? With grapefruit seed, I usually put a few drops in an ounce of water. Even one undiluted drop is so strong. I could put ten drops in an ounce of water but only give her a few drops of the diluted mixture if that works. But please advise if you have a better solution!

For the grape seed extract, would this be a good formula to try? Maybe just a drop of it?

I’m still learning so much from you all and from observing her. I might start feeding her just in the morning and moving her baths to later in the day. Her last bowel movement was 5 days ago and it came at night so maybe food with coconut or olive oil in the morning, a good long bask and then a bath later in the day might help move things. If I just do one feeding a day, would 2 ml be too much in one sitting?

She is moving better than she was a week ago but still not mobile enough to move between warm and cool sides, so I am doing my best to observe her and go off of the signs she gives me as far as adjusting her temperature. I’m letting her sleep at a cooler temperature ranging around 77-80 degrees, when I wake her up, I put the UVB light and basking light on and let her get some rays for a while before feeding her. I keep very careful track of the basking surface temps and keep them around 95-98. I take her out of her terrarium to eat. I was doing baths at this time but again I’m going to try them later in the day to see how that works. Today I tried holding her against my chest/shoulder and walking her around for a bit. After she eats, I let her bask for at least two hours then turn off the basking light for about two hours. The temperatures go down to about 86 during that time. I’ll go on and off with the basking light all day. I don’t know if this is right but she seems to like getting a break from it. She usually looks really good color wise in the morning and through the day but she’s been getting a little pale at the end of the day under the basking light. Again I’m keeping the basking temperature around 95-97. I’m still trying to get her hydrated so maybe that’s why. Or maybe she’s just ready to go to bed. Throughout the day under the basking light she looks good, it’s just that last one before lights out when she gets a little pale. Any guidance on what I’m doing and if it seems right or wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time and advice and help!
Basking light and UVB should be on 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off --- ambient temps on the hot side around 100 -- surface basking temps 95-100--- her poop is going to tell you if shes hydrated - it should white formed and moist - any chalky dried out shes dehydrated

JulesD

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gruncher
Basking light and UVB should be on 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off --- ambient temps on the hot side around 100 -- surface basking temps 95-100--- her poop is going to tell you if shes hydrated - it should white formed and moist - any chalky dried out shes dehydrated
Thanks KarrieRee! She can’t move right now because the impaction is still not out so I’ve been trying to adjust for her. The UVB light is on 12 hours every day. I was just turning the basking light off for short periods but maybe I can leave it on and just slide it over to the other side of the tank periodically.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks KarrieRee! She can’t move right now because the impaction is still not out so I’ve been trying to adjust for her. The UVB light is on 12 hours every day. I was just turning the basking light off for short periods but maybe I can leave it on and just slide it over to the other side of the tank periodically.
Leave both lights on consistently - she needs stable temps of 100 ambient hot side and cool side of 80ish- shes not dragging herself at all ?

JulesD

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gruncher
Leave both lights on consistently - she needs stable temps of 100 ambient hot side and cool side of 80ish- shes not dragging herself at all ?
No sadly. she did before the impaction. She started moving her legs a bit in the bath after starting the pumpkin. Shortly after she pooped. Now she will move slightly on her towel. She’ll move herself up on it a bit and move her head but no significant movement besides that. I have only been giving her pumpkin puree and olive oil plus dustings of calcium for the last week and I’m wondering if I should continue with that until she poops again or start mixing in some chicken or turkey baby food for protein and strength. Last time she went was last Saturday evening. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No sadly. she did before the impaction. She started moving her legs a bit in the bath after starting the pumpkin. Shortly after she pooped. Now she will move slightly on her towel. She’ll move herself up on it a bit and move her head but no significant movement besides that. I have only been giving her pumpkin puree and olive oil plus dustings of calcium for the last week and I’m wondering if I should continue with that until she poops again or start mixing in some chicken or turkey baby food for protein and strength. Last time she went was last Saturday evening. Thanks!
You need the temps consistent so she starts digesting the food -- I guess I would add some of the chicken in along w/ the pumpkin - what goes in must come out- I am thinking shes gonna have a blow out here soon

JulesD

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gruncher
You need the temps consistent so she starts digesting the food -- I guess I would add some of the chicken in along w/ the pumpkin - what goes in must come out- I am thinking shes gonna have a blow out here soon
Oh man I am hoping and praying for that!! I really appreciate you teaching me these things. The first week she was with me I made so many mistakes. And the info the vet gave me was off in many areas.

Could she stay in the basking area all day or does she need a break now and then?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh man I am hoping and praying for that!! I really appreciate you teaching me these things. The first week she was with me I made so many mistakes. And the info the vet gave me was off in many areas.

Could she stay in the basking area all day or does she need a break now and then?
It depends on the dragon --- some will stay there all day and some will move around the tank -- you want her to have at least 4 hrs of basking time - that is w/ basking temps and her UVB

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
There aren't really any "set" doses on supplements such as those. The grape seed extract mix
of the 1 drop of solution to 10 drops of distilled water sounds good. That is not terribly strong but
should give some benefits without being too strong.
Has she been able to move around her tank any better yet?
For the feedings, 1-2MLS per day sounds good. If you feel she needs to gain a bit of weight, you
can increase up to 3 or 4MLS daily. Be sure to break it up into several small feedings.

Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigNikko33
Top Bottom