Shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
My son was given a beautiful gecko for Christmas,although a little temperamental. My problem is that when she came out of her hide today she was white!!!! I have never seen a beardie or gecko in shed so if someone could offer some advice I would appreciate it.She looks like she has a thin film all over her except for the tips of her nose,a small part of her tail and her 2 left feet. I can't post pics right now,she is in the room with my son and he is asleep,but can post pics in the morning.
Thanks,
Sara

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Jasper's mom,
I was told she is a snow gecko. There is a picture of her and my beardie in the introduction thread: Alf and Freckles.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
She's cute! She's a leopard gecko, and yes, she's going to shed. Probably when you got up this morning the white film was gone. If not, it will be gone by tomorrow morning. She will rub and pull the shed off and then eat it. Check her toes afterwards to make sure there is no retained shed on them. If there is, you can use a wet q-tip to remove it.

I have the exact same shelf liner in my gecko's enclosure! :D

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help!!!! I am new to beardies and geckos. I have been a member since spring of 08 and studied and researched and read all about beardies and I'm still learning!! Not long before they shipped Gina (moonlightreptiles) asked me if she could send my son a gecko for Christmas, I have her care sheet for geckos,and have done some reading on them,but have never seen a beardie or gecko in shed before. On top of that my 8(almost 9) year old son wanted me to ask someone who knew more than Mommy,because"Mmmy you are new to geckos too!!" He's very protective over both of our new additions and worries his little heart out!! So I do appreciate your hel and will tell him what you said!

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Sara, your lizards are adorable! your gecko is most certainly a leo! and she is going to shed, just like Sandi said.

Gecko are a great pet to have! especially leos. trust me, i have three. Good luck with him!

Sara (we have the same name, cool huh?)

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
If you ever get a chance to watch her shed, it's pretty cool. I bet your son would really enjoy it. The whole process takes roughly half an hour and it's quite fun to watch.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
I love watching them shed- but most of the time it seems as though im at my moms house (they all live at dads) when they shed because i havent seen it happen for a while!! and its really upseting, i love watching them shed!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I took this picture of Junie last night (sorry it's blurry).

S6300379.jpg

And here's her little superhero mask:

S6300383.jpg

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone!! I was a little worried as it seemed to happen overnight(her getting white). The more I look at her the more I can see the loose skin! I would love to watch her shed,it would be really neat.I love both my girls but right now Freckles is being a little ill. Can you hold these adorable creatures? I was told no that holding would cause them to lose their tails,but a friend of mine has one and he can hold his. I can't wait to see her after her shed,I may try to hold her then,right now she wiggles too much and I'm afraid she would get away or I would hurt her trying to hold her.

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Jasper's mom,thanks so much for the picture!! It helped me see things better,that is exactly the color Freckles is right now and around her arms her skin is getting ready to come off. It looks like she has a flap under her arm.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I would give her some more time to settle in before you try to handle her too much. Some of them don't mind being handled, but some are quite skittish. I can pick June up, but if I hold her for too long she gets antsy and tries to escape. Just make sure that when you do handle her that you never hold her tail tightly - it is more likely to drop if she feels that it's "caught".

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Freckles just did a full body shed!!!! I was sitting in the living room watching T.V. and noticed she had gone back in to her hide after laying outside of it for about an hour,next thing I knew she was rubbing her hide and then she came out and moved around the tank rubbing the sides of the tank to remove shed. I yelled for Timmy and we sat and watched her,(I videoed it.) She's resting now.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Gomez is about to shed! hopefully he sheds when im over here.

Gosh- everybodys geckos seem to be shedding right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom