What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visionist

Hatchling Member
I have noticed recently that Illidan has a little bit of black on the area where his jaw opens, on both sides. I don't think it is mouth rot and it doesn't seem to bother him, but I would like to know what it is. I can't seem to find any info regarding it in my reptile parasites book, the closest thing looks like mites, but this is not mites. I have tried to gently see if it would come off, but it did not.

Due to the large image size here is a link: http://i40.tinypic.com/xe4qhx.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That would just be some food/insect particles on the teeth area.
I don't think it is anything to worry about though.

Tracie

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His mouth is still like this, no real change since. I know it is not food particles, and since it hasn't affected him in all this time it is probably nothing to worry about, but I am curious.

AJD

If the stuff you are seeing is in his teeth, then he should be fine. But if it is in his gums, and it is infecting/ deteriorating them in any way/ then I would see a vet to prevent it from spreading further. Could you possibly get a picture that shows it better?

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AJD":3ubmaz2z said:
If the stuff you are seeing is in his teeth, then he should be fine. But if it is in his gums, and it is infecting/ deteriorating them in any way/ then I would see a vet to prevent it from spreading further. Could you possibly get a picture that shows it better?
It is on his gums, but I haven't seen it grow any more in the past few months nor does it seem to be effecting him in any way. In fact it may have gotten a bit smaller over the past while, though it is hard to tell. Could it be some kind of scars maybe? I would not think it is infected or deteriorating as he shows no pain when I have picked at the area a bit(to see if it was food, a scab etc), there has also never been any kind of fluid or discharge or anything of the sort to indicate infection(Which pretty much eliminates mouth rot as it would have spread and be a lot more visible by now with more signs of infection)

AJD

Hm. If it's healing then I don't think you have too much to worry about. Just keep watching it. Has his poop been different in any way since you noticed it?

Visionist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AJD":30zg0ca6 said:
Hm. If it's healing then I don't think you have too much to worry about. Just keep watching it. Has his poop been different in any way since you noticed it?
Nope, he has always had it and his poop is fine. I have done a few fecals on him and have not found anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom