Dragon not eating, eyes closed, lethargic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiyo

Original Poster
I've been using an aquarium/vivarium thermometer which is very reliable.

One of the big problems I have with my dragon is that they are still a very uncommon pet here. I've been thinking about getting some phoenix worms to vary her diet a little but horn worms are impossible to find over here.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does the thermometer have a long wire & probe end?

Phoenix worms are good too. Where do you live?

Chiyo

Original Poster
I can't tell you that I'm afraid but dragons and other lizards are only just coming into the country. The only way to find them or their supplies are in the big cities. Lizards are usually confined to zoos, snakes are a little more popular but it's still hard to get their equipment and when you can it's really expensive. Which is why I get most of mine from the UK or the US.

Basically to get food you have to find a supplier and have it shipped.There are only about fifteen vets in the entire country... Things are getting a little better but it's slow.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, I had no idea it was so hard for you to find supplies for reptiles there, sure makes it difficult then. Hope they get more popular soon so it is easier for reptile lovers and less expensive too.

Amazon does carry the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent tube at a pretty decent price. I use Amazon a lot.

Chiyo

Original Poster
It's funny because at first people are scared of them. Somebody actually asked me if it blew fire, they were serious... :lol:

Say, this is a phoenix worm right? They seem to be called calcium worms here.

Vers-a-Calcium-par-50-101-2-big-1-www-nutrirept-fr.jpg

I also use amazon. I can even get crickets from them. I'll look into it, hopefully it won't be too bad.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
WOW, I have never seen one blown up before, sure are ugly! :shock: Yes, they can be referred to phoenix, calci or repti-worms.

Here's a picture of the bulb you want to look for, not sure of the length you would want as I'm not sure of the length of your tank.

p-27554-60869-reptile.jpg

Chiyo

Original Poster
I've seen cuter that's for sure.

I'm just looking at UVB tubes on amazon, which one would you suggest? My terrarium's about 39 inches long and about 23.6 high.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since the tank is 39 inches long, I would go with a 24" length because if you got the 36" side, it wouldn't allow her to be able to escape the UVB if she preferred to. We recommend covering 2/3 to 3/4 of the length of the tank.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No problem at all with the questions. :wink: That would be the same as the 10.0 output.
p-27554-60869-reptile.jpg

Chiyo

Original Poster
Another last thing then. I can still feel some lumps in her tummy, I'm fairy sure that it's some left over impaction. Should I give her more paraffin?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To be honest, I have never given paraffin. What I have found helpful is baby food prunes or applesauce with a few drops of vegetable oil in it. I heat up the prunes or applesauce so that it is quite warm and then feed it while in a bath. After feeding, I hold my beardie in one hand with the vent still down in the water and massage on the right side from armpit to vent in a gentle circular motion trying to move the hardened areas closer to the vent so they can be passed. If it doesn't help right away, then I lay my beardie down on a heated cornbag or rice sock and by the next morning, there are good results.

Chiyo

Original Poster
Paraffin oil works wonders, she pooped two massive poops in a matter of hours but I'll try your technique. I don't like force feeding her period, least of all paraffin aka mineral oil based off of petroleum.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, best not to force feed when you can to avoid stress & to make it easier on you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom