Second guessing my choice of UVB tube

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I agree. Missing hands or feet is not a critical issue after they are healed. It just takes accommodations that are specific to the situation. A full, rich life can still be achieved.

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
I agree. Missing hands or feet is not a critical issue after they are healed. It just takes accommodations that are specific to the situation. A full, rich life can still be achieved.
thats good to hear!. i will send an update when i know the date of pick up and other news that may come up

Chris.

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Hopefully he hangs on. Try not to worry too much, you did everything you could.
Also pictures can be missleading at times, you'll only see how he is doing when you get him looked at by a good vet.

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
They wanna keep him till end july..

Hopefully he hangs on. Try not to worry too much, you did everything you could.
Also pictures can be missleading at times, you'll only see how he is doing when you get him looked at by a good vet.

Yes, that is a good point. I have two great exotic vets. So in that department I have no stress, at least.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They wanna keep him till end july..

Yes, that is a good point. I have two great exotic vets. So in that department I have no stress, at least.
That is definitely a good thing. I'm sincerely hoping you end up with the lil guy.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
<3 i will keep you updated. thanks for giving me hope
Howdy. I'm the one who has Nubby. He's missing both his back feet and last quarter of his tail from fighting with tank mates, we got him when he was little. Like a month and his feet were *dirty*. We thought it was scale rot, turned out to be just dirt.😅 so when you get him, absolutely get his injuries assessed by a vet. But don't necessarily fret over him being a nubs. My Nubby just turned one and he's the fastest lizard I've ever seen. It's like he doesn't even realize he's missing his feet and needs zero accommodations, he just has a little trouble climbing so we have his basking spot and logs low to the ground. He uses his little legs like spider legs with the way he grips with them.

We literally saved his life and he's so so so so loving. He runs to us when he's scared, loves cuddling and looks at us with the most adoration ever. I'll post some photos of when we got him and him now.

The photos of the little boy is Nubby, like two months old. We were worried but the vet said it healed nicely and he hasn't missed a lick. The other photos are him now, literally the BIGGEST baby I've ever seen. If you have any other questions regarding having a nubbed lizard, feel free to message me. I think the baby will do good with you, I read your messages earlier and you seem genuinely concerned and willing to take advice from others and are looking out for his wellbeing. Don't let the breeder put him down, the missing bits don't look too terrible. The tail maybe, but that also might just be dirt. Keep on doing what you do, you're doing great. <3

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240626_151727_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_151727_Photos.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240626_151734_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_151734_Photos.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240626_151743_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_151743_Photos.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240626_151256_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_151256_Photos.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240626_151348_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_151348_Photos.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 14

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
Howdy. I'm the one who has Nubby. He's missing both his back feet and last quarter of his tail from fighting with tank mates, we got him when he was little. Like a month and his feet were *dirty*. We thought it was scale rot, turned out to be just dirt.😅 so when you get him, absolutely get his injuries assessed by a vet. But don't necessarily fret over him being a nubs. My Nubby just turned one and he's the fastest lizard I've ever seen. It's like he doesn't even realize he's missing his feet and needs zero accommodations, he just has a little trouble climbing so we have his basking spot and logs low to the ground. He uses his little legs like spider legs with the way he grips with them.

We literally saved his life and he's so so so so loving. He runs to us when he's scared, loves cuddling and looks at us with the most adoration ever. I'll post some photos of when we got him and him now.

The photos of the little boy is Nubby, like two months old. We were worried but the vet said it healed nicely and he hasn't missed a lick. The other photos are him now, literally the BIGGEST baby I've ever seen. If you have any other questions regarding having a nubbed lizard, feel free to message me. I think the baby will do good with you, I read your messages earlier and you seem genuinely concerned and willing to take advice from others and are looking out for his wellbeing. Don't let the breeder put him down, the missing bits don't look too terrible. The tail maybe, but that also might just be dirt. Keep on doing what you do, you're doing great. <3
Omg thank you so much for this. He looks very happy. Did he need surgery and if so what age was he? The girl i got home at 3 months old (his sister from a different clutch) had to have a lot of quiet to destress from the move so having this little guy go under surgery at 2 months makes me nervous. Especially the aftermath cause I assume I will have to handle and administer painkillers and penicilin. If you have any tips on how to go about it i would love to hear them. I am going to try and I am so grateful for the people in here educating me. I have not dealt with tail/limb rot before.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Omg thank you so much for this. He looks very happy. Did he need surgery and if so what age was he? The girl i got home at 3 months old (his sister from a different clutch) had to have a lot of quiet to destress from the move so having this little guy go under surgery at 2 months makes me nervous. Especially the aftermath cause I assume I will have to handle and administer painkillers and penicilin. If you have any tips on how to go about it i would love to hear them. I am going to try and I am so grateful for the people in here educating me. I have not dealt with tail/limb rot before.
It's hard to tell with limb rot. We were convinced Nubbs had it because one of the rings around his tail was deep and dark and scary looking. But the vet said it happened when he was very young (pet store not taking good care, keeping lots of little babies together too long). We had gone to get another baby and saw Nubby and knew we couldn't leave him. So we walked out with two one month old beardies. Dreki and Nubby. And they needed to decompress, just like any new pet.

The biggest issue he has is he does struggle a little bit climbing stuff but good lord is he fast. Surgery can be scary. We're worried Dreki might need surgery to be spayed because she's laid a clutch of infertile eggs every month since December and the mortality rare is 30 to 50%. Best advice I can give is just give him plenty of loves, let him associate you with food and treats, lots of treats and if a vet says he needs surgery, get two or three more opinions. Dreki stopped eating and constantly was scratching to get out and vet said it was lower Trac pneumonia and wanted her to have antibiotics, turned out she was gravid with her first infertile clutch.

Giving them meds can be annoying but it's not super hard. Just give a bunch of space and love at the same time. I'm convinced baby talking our lizards is what turned them into the giant babies they are. 😅😅

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Also, that babies feet look healed and not as terrible as it seems. I'm fairly certain he'll be alright. 😁

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
It's hard to tell with limb rot. We were convinced Nubbs had it because one of the rings around his tail was deep and dark and scary looking. But the vet said it happened when he was very young (pet store not taking good care, keeping lots of little babies together too long). We had gone to get another baby and saw Nubby and knew we couldn't leave him. So we walked out with two one month old beardies. Dreki and Nubby. And they needed to decompress, just like any new pet.

The biggest issue he has is he does struggle a little bit climbing stuff but good lord is he fast. Surgery can be scary. We're worried Dreki might need surgery to be spayed because she's laid a clutch of infertile eggs every month since December and the mortality rare is 30 to 50%. Best advice I can give is just give him plenty of loves, let him associate you with food and treats, lots of treats and if a vet says he needs surgery, get two or three more opinions. Dreki stopped eating and constantly was scratching to get out and vet said it was lower Trac pneumonia and wanted her to have antibiotics, turned out she was gravid with her first infertile clutch.

Giving them meds can be annoying but it's not super hard. Just give a bunch of space and love at the same time. I'm convinced baby talking our lizards is what turned them into the giant babies they are. 😅😅
so in the end he didnt have any rot? and he didnt get surgery or? was he already without the backfeet when you got him?

Yes i am thinking broad cork-piece platforms at not too steep angles. And then a big branch like Stellas but less angled too.

Im sorry youre dealing with that :(. I hope she gets through it swiftly, surgery or not.

I gave my late beardie so many meds for a month and a half before she was unfortunately put down (they ended up finding cancer). So i'm okay with that as a whole, just scared of the severity considering how small he is.. hes like.. just a little more than half the size of his clutch siblings.

Yess i talk to mine like theyre babies too haha!!

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
so in the end he didnt have any rot? and he didnt get surgery or? was he already without the backfeet when you got him?

Yes i am thinking broad cork-piece platforms at not too steep angles. And then a big branch like Stellas but less angled too.

Im sorry youre dealing with that :(. I hope she gets through it swiftly, surgery or not.

I gave my late beardie so many meds for a month and a half before she was unfortunately put down (they ended up finding cancer). So i'm okay with that as a whole, just scared of the severity considering how small he is.. hes like.. just a little more than half the size of his clutch siblings.

Yess i talk to mine like theyre babies too haha!!
Nope, no rot. His feet were already gone and healed when we saw him and that little guy looks the same. Nubby was real tiny too. He's still kinda small for a one year old, but he has a huge personality. It's real common for clutches to have one, if not multiple birth defects when theyre born in such high quantity from like a breeder. The tail does look a tad iffy but if the breeder is using a sand substrate, especially a darker one, their feet and tails get so damn dirty. Surgery can be pretty stressful on all involved so just make sure you get a second opinion if the vet jumps to it as soon as they see his tail. You want xrays done, if you can. Also, if you don't have pet insurance, I absolutely recommend it. We have a plan through nationwide, like 80/month for all 6 of our lizards and it covers 50 to 90% of their bills. We go to the vet, pay thr bill up front, file with insurance and we get a check within two weeks of what they cover and it's helped tremendously.

Since that little guy looks like he's only missing some toes and not entire feet, he'll most likely be able to climb just fine. When do you get him.?

ownedbyP

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
P
Nope, no rot. His feet were already gone and healed when we saw him and that little guy looks the same. Nubby was real tiny too. He's still kinda small for a one year old, but he has a huge personality. It's real common for clutches to have one, if not multiple birth defects when theyre born in such high quantity from like a breeder. The tail does look a tad iffy but if the breeder is using a sand substrate, especially a darker one, their feet and tails get so damn dirty. Surgery can be pretty stressful on all involved so just make sure you get a second opinion if the vet jumps to it as soon as they see his tail. You want xrays done, if you can. Also, if you don't have pet insurance, I absolutely recommend it. We have a plan through nationwide, like 80/month for all 6 of our lizards and it covers 50 to 90% of their bills. We go to the vet, pay thr bill up front, file with insurance and we get a check within two weeks of what they cover and it's helped tremendously.

Since that little guy looks like he's only missing some toes and not entire feet, he'll most likely be able to climb just fine. When do you get him.?
Theyre not using sand or any substrate for the small ones so i'm afraid thats not it. Unfortunately pet insurance here is a lot more expensive. But I have savings that should cover surgery and xrays etc.
Earliest I can get him is end july

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Addi
Top Bottom