Why do people still use crickets as a feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I don't understand why everyone says crickets are more expensive the reptiworms. I was buying 1000 for $18 and thats a much better buy when you compare the size of reptiworm to crickets.
I also keep seeing people say you don't have to dust reptiworms but I don't know if thats true or not. Phoenix worms are fed a special diet to make them high in calcium, thats why they cost more. I don't know if the breeders of the reptiworms feed a similiar diet. Personally I like being able to feed my insects so I know whats going into them.

RowenJade

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Where do you get them for $18 Gail? That'd half what I pay and I still pay less than crickets.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
newbeardie11":s4bibaoq said:
Won't repti worms make your reptiles chubby if they just sit there and eat from their bowls instead of go out and catch their prey?

I don't really think that could contribute to them being chubby... just for the simple fact that they don't have that much room to run in the viv anyway.. And usually when I feed Scarlett crickets she's eating them as fast as i can dump them so she basically stands there anyway.. She does a lot of her running and jumping throughout the day..

Gail

BD.org Addict
RowenJade":1nszh9o2 said:
Where do you get them for $18 Gail? That'd half what I pay and I still pay less than crickets.

Reptilefood.com but the prices are higher right now due to them only offering overnight shipping.

RowenJade

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Bump, making this post easier to find for when I update it with a new chart I found from a reliable source, just need permission to use it. I'll keep u guys posted!!

Kaiser

Juvie Member
Gail":19hl4cke said:
I don't understand why everyone says crickets are more expensive the reptiworms. I was buying 1000 for $18 and thats a much better buy when you compare the size of reptiworm to crickets.
I also keep seeing people say you don't have to dust reptiworms but I don't know if thats true or not. Phoenix worms are fed a special diet to make them high in calcium, thats why they cost more. I don't know if the breeders of the reptiworms feed a similiar diet. Personally I like being able to feed my insects so I know whats going into them.

According to Dr. Phoenix of Phoenix Worms, his company's black soldier fly larvae have a calcium to phosphorous ratio of 1.5 to 1, respectively. Source: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=137767&p=1110473#p1110473.

Reptiworms recently had a lab analysis conducted on their black soldier fly larvae, and the results showed a calcium to phosphorous ratio of 1.433 to 1, respectively. Source: http://www.reptiworms.com/info.php?articles&articles_id=6&sid=lvt9fjb95fjt00ifv29ctduhk4.

I'm not sure if a difference of 0.067 is really significant, but I just thought I'd mention that they are relatively similar in calcium to phosphorous ratios. I don't know if you can tell whether something is high in calcium based on ratios alone, however. Reptiworms had a value of 0.43% in terms of calcium, but I'm not sure how to interpret that. As for Phoenix Worms, calcium content was reported as 8155 ppm, which again, I'm not too sure how to interpret.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Wow, it looks like butters are actually really good feeders. I've heard they were good, then they were bad so I wasn't sure what to think. Good to finally know, I'll have to get some soon.

RowenJade

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Slave2Scarlett":1chiiwks said:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing Gail.. Looks like they could be used as a staple too..
I was also surprised at how good they are as a staple yet my wallet does not like that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dezid44
Top Bottom