Lilith breaks 12"

Next week Lilith will be four months old and she's still doing great. Today was "meassuring day" and she turned up at 83g and 30.5cm (12").
!! That is compared to last week +19g/3cm(1") which I think is kind of crazy !!

She's a little low on appetite again as she's shedding once again, which is still the whole body and just the tail separated.

She's just a little angel for the most part but that is mostly because it is still cute when she climbs on my head. As an adult....not so much probably

Attachments

• IMG_20240614_124747.jpg
    IMG_20240614_124747.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240614_124735.jpg
    IMG_20240614_124735.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240614_125156.jpg
    IMG_20240614_125156.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240614_125129.jpg
    IMG_20240614_125129.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240614_125213.jpg
    IMG_20240614_125213.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 24

NickAVD

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Mine also eats it :) It was even the first food he ate after I got him :)
Can you get a link about this plant? I've never heard of him.
If we talk about what mine likes, he loves clover and its flowers, but he only eats it with a growing bush, so I have to grow it at home.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
@NickAVD

This is callisia repens, also known as "golliwog" or "turtle creeping weed". It is a general food plant for reptiles. It is luckily one of the few leafy plants that grow here (likely as it's a succulent). All those clover, flowering plants, dandelion... won't grow here (tried it...), so I'm happy I (and Taco :)) has this.
Usually it is sold in garden centers where one also finds catgrass, catnip and such. Should be easy to get, I find it online for the US and Germany and "even" here where some things can be crazily hard to get and keeping reptiles is super rare and supplies hard to get I found it in the hardware store that has a tiny plant section, and on a local street market.

As a succulent it is quite hardy regarding "desert environments", keeps and grows well in a dragon enclosure. As, of course, he eats it, it won't last for more than approx. 2 weeks until half of it is eaten. I then switch it out; I have in total three golliwog plants which I use in rotation. Always one in, two out of the enclosure, e.g. here in full sun on the balcony.
When I bought them, I repotted them, switched out most of the soil, cleaned the leaves with water, and let it grow for some weeks before putting it in my dragon's enclosure.
Generally recommended when it's not organic.

Btw.:
but he only eats it with a growing bush, so I have to grow it at home.
My Taco also eats only from live plants... or what he thinks are life plants.
So he has his golliwog, usually I also put a potted herb (e.g. basil, rosemary) in his enclosure. In that way he also has fresh greens when we are away for a few days and (!) is already used to eat that.
Other greens I feed in a way that they mimic a complete life plant, so not cut up, but like a bouquet I put in a dish with some water. I repurposed a "worm dish" from which insects constantly escaped for that. It then looks like a plant and then he eats is greens soooo easily. That way is greens stay fresh from morning to evening. He's currently slowly coming out of brumation and yesterday already started eating some greens.
(The only veggies I cut up for him are such as squash, root vegetables. But I don't chop a salad for him.)

NickAVD

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
@NickAVD

This is callisia repens, also known as "golliwog" or "turtle creeping weed". It is a general food plant for reptiles. It is luckily one of the few leafy plants that grow here (likely as it's a succulent). All those clover, flowering plants, dandelion... won't grow here (tried it...), so I'm happy I (and Taco :)) has this.
Usually it is sold in garden centers where one also finds catgrass, catnip and such. Should be easy to get, I find it online for the US and Germany and "even" here where some things can be crazily hard to get and keeping reptiles is super rare and supplies hard to get I found it in the hardware store that has a tiny plant section, and on a local street market.

As a succulent it is quite hardy regarding "desert environments", keeps and grows well in a dragon enclosure. As, of course, he eats it, it won't last for more than approx. 2 weeks until half of it is eaten. I then switch it out; I have in total three golliwog plants which I use in rotation. Always one in, two out of the enclosure, e.g. here in full sun on the balcony.
When I bought them, I repotted them, switched out most of the soil, cleaned the leaves with water, and let it grow for some weeks before putting it in my dragon's enclosure.
Generally recommended when it's not organic.

Btw.:

So he has his golliwog, usually I also put a potted herb (e.g. basil, rosemary) in his enclosure. In that way he also has fresh greens when we are away for a few days and (!) is already used to eat that.
Other greens I feed in a way that they mimic a complete life plant, so not cut up, but like a bouquet I put in a dish with some water. I repurposed a "worm dish" from which insects constantly escaped for that. It then looks like a plant and then he eats is greens soooo easily. That way is greens stay fresh from morning to evening. He's currently slowly coming out of brumation and yesterday already started eating some greens.
(The only veggies I cut up for him are such as squash, root vegetables. But I don't chop a salad for him.)
Thank you! This is very useful information, I will try to find this plant in our area to diversify Foxy's diet.

NickAVD

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Foxy used to eat green plants from his bowl, but there came a point when he almost stopped being interested in greens. Maybe he had too many bugs. His interest reappeared after a trip to a country house. While he was walking along the paths, he came across a dandelion bush and tried to bite it. The leaf turned out to be strong and did not come off immediately, then Foxy jerked his head hard and tore it off. He liked it so much and was so proud of what he managed that now he only eats growing plants and he definitely mast to pull them hard by the leaf and tear them off, because it’s fun. :LOL:

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Foxy used to eat green plants from his bowl, but there came a point when he almost stopped being interested in greens.
If offered it chopped up in the beginning - no interest in greens. I didn't worry much, thought normal "baby dragon" thing. He, however, ate the golliwog, and a lot of that.
Then I started an experiment: Small leaves with stems, tucked into a bowl to hold them together. He ate it!
I then also added a bit of water to the bowl just to keep the greens fresh during the day. (Taco isn't a guy who eats food right when it is offered. He eats it whenever he wants - could be a minute, could be hours after putting it in.)

Chris.

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
@NickAVD the ratio is correct, you are right. She is just growing really fast and in theorie the phase with the most growing is still to come. Also some days she doesn't want bugs (maybe eat one dubia or two) but finishes most of the greens (the bowl is still bigger than herself(!).... I'll try and experiment a bit with this I think.

@ChileanTaco mine don't initially like new food. Lilly more than Luis, she will basically take a bite into everything I hold in front of her. But the live plant, she's not as keen about. She sticks to the bowl (the plant is a backup in case the bowl wasn't enough).
Interestingly when I try to introduce Luis to mealworms he would just look at them in the beginning for about three or four days before he even tried to eat one. Now he is going crazy for them, if I put them into his salad bowl he will even empty the bowl to find the last one of them. He didn't have a problem with the life plant though, it was pretty much the next day that I looked into the tank and one branch of the plant was lying on the floor, bitten off.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Interestingly when I try to introduce Luis to mealworms he would just look at them in the beginning for about three or four days before he even tried to eat one.
Exactly that was for my Taco with dubias.
(I had only mealworms and small (!) superworms for Taco for a while. His first dubia, he was about 6 month old; however likely at the reptile store, he was fed very small dubias when he was 2 - 3 month old, he was a month long there. No idea what the breeder fed.)
After he started eating dubias here at home, he just liked them and sometimes he prefers them over e.g. a superworm.
Regarding the golliwog: No idea why he liked it immediately. They were not feeding this in the reptile store - they had the regular chopped greens there.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
@NickAVD the ratio is correct, you are right. She is just growing really fast and in theorie the phase with the most growing is still to come. Also some days she doesn't want bugs (maybe eat one dubia or two) but finishes most of the greens (the bowl is still bigger than herself(!).... I'll try and experiment a bit with this I think.

@ChileanTaco mine don't initially like new food. Lilly more than Luis, she will basically take a bite into everything I hold in front of her. But the live plant, she's not as keen about. She sticks to the bowl (the plant is a backup in case the bowl wasn't enough).
Interestingly when I try to introduce Luis to mealworms he would just look at them in the beginning for about three or four days before he even tried to eat one. Now he is going crazy for them, if I put them into his salad bowl he will even empty the bowl to find the last one of them. He didn't have a problem with the life plant though, it was pretty much the next day that I looked into the tank and one branch of the plant was lying on the floor, bitten off.
That's largely why I like keeping more than one. It's so interesting to see how they each behave differently. They all have different preferences and personality quirks, you would never know if you just have one.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dezid44
Top Bottom