Phillip, My new dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After many, many years of wanting, and several months of preparing I finally got my dragon! I was going to wait and order one from a breeder online, but today, when I went to Petsmart I knew I just had to have him. He was the prettiest baby and was sold to me as a fancy dragon for an extra $20. It took me a long time to decide if I still wanted him, but how could I resist his little, cutie face? None of the other connected with me like he did.

005_zps6de707e0.jpg

008_zps582950e5.jpg

Does he look like he's going to colorful? Maybe orange? In the store he was lighter with brighter orange on his back.

So far he's eaten 3 crickets, 1 small roach, and a piece of salad.

kelii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He looks like he's going to shed at any second. Could that have been it?

Junebug

Hatchling Member
I know shedding has different effect on them, but Im not too sure if that could be it for sure or not, my little puff looks to b about the sane size as yours, I think he is about to shed soon also, but he was up before me this morning, had already eatin a few of his dubias too before the lights came on, and I havent been through a full blown shed with him yet, so Im not sure

kelii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
001_zps02df9a26.jpg

This is how he's been most of the day. You can see how cloudy his skin has become.

Junebug

Hatchling Member
I would post a few pics in the health help section, a pic before today, then the one of today, and see if anyone has any ideas about it. Poor little guy, hopes hes okay

kelii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
003_zps916d07fb.jpg

Well, I woke him up and he was acting fine. He still has stress marks, but they lightened once I was holding him, and he started moving around.

Junebug

Hatchling Member
Do you have a scale to keep track of his weight? I would do that, and if you see a drop in weight or no weight gaining, maybe seek vet help! I know my little Puff naps throughout the day, and I can always tell when he's ready for bed before lights out. I keep Puff on a 14 on and 10 off schedule. I work all day (9 hours or so after drive time), while my boyfriend is really good at making sure he is okay and fed, and not ignored while I'm at work, I still need the extra time to make sure he gets his three meals a day, plus I can still see him for a little while before lights out! But when I see him acting like he's ready for bed, I'll take him out of his viv and let him settle in on my shoulder with a wash cloth while hes still so little, and cover him up. He goes right to sleep, then I put him back in his viv while the lights are out a while later! He's normally pretty active though, expecially in the mornings when I clean out his viv, and when he sees me grab the phoenix worms, he starts to get really excited! Its cute! Last night after I got home, I chopped up fresh greens for him, and as I was putting the worms in his salad bowl, he tried to get to them! I done it right infront of his viv, so he was watching my every move! I thought that if the glass wasn't seperating them he'd eat them right out of my hand! :lol:

kelii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The scale is a good idea. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow and I'll see if I can pick one up. I'm also going to get some repti-boost. It's on sale right now for only 8.97:) you can't go wrong with that. I think Phillip is just stressed from his injury, and now he's about to shed right after. He can't be feeling all that great yet. Did Puff go through any relocation stress? If he did, how long did it last? Maybe Phillip is suffering from that along with everything else.

Junebug

Hatchling Member
We got Puff on a Saturday, from a reptile show,. We live in Ohio, so it was still(and still is) pretty cold out. So I stuffed him inside of my coat to get him to the warm car, then in back in my coat to get him in the house. The breeder we got him from told us she had fed him both crickets and Dubia's so we could choose crickets if we wanted to try those first, he ate a total of 7-8 crickets all week the first week, then his Dubia's came Friday of that first week. He ate A LOT of Dubia that Friday (like 17, I think). So basically, I'm not sure if he was just going through relocation stress, or if just preferred the dubia over the crickets, because he ate a little of his greens each day, enough to keep him active, and make him poop everyday! He's still a little skiddish when i go to get him out, but he has only jumped out of my hands once. Now he's ALOT better about not freaking out while i'm cleaning his viv, or feeding him. Within a few days at our house (I took him out everyday, and talked to him everytime I walk by his viv) he was sleeping on my shoulder/belly and was really cool about running around the couch.

So Again, I'm not sure if it was relocation stress, or the fact that he didn't want crickets at all. I can say that he has never layed around all day, even before his dubia came in. He naps alot, but he's still really active for feeding time, bath time, snuggle time or whatever.

Junebug

Hatchling Member
When you get your scale, make sure you get one that reads grams, I heard Wall-mart sells them in the kitchen gadgets/household items. I had a scale (small one) laying around the house, not sure where it came from, but thats what i'm using util Puff gets bigger, then it will be too small for him.

How old is Phillip now?

kelii

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I think I know what scales you're talking about. They're by the spatulas and such, right? Phillip is almost 7 inches, so my guess is about 2 months.

Junebug

Hatchling Member
Yes, I think thats where they are at. My Puff was 6 inchs last Sunday and weighed in at 7.4 grams I think, he was 7 weeks old then, will b 8 wks this Sunday and get another weight and measurement. Puff gained aver two grams in a few wks, he may have gained more if I would have gotten him dubias to start with. Thats what the breeder said anyway, he was 5 wks that Saturday we brought him home.

htidavid

Juvie Member
I'm glad he's doing better! Hope he makes a full recovery soon though. You're doing a really good job taking care of him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacob Ren
Top Bottom